Blades for Keencut

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Blades for Keencut

Post by cebrooker »

Hello my lovely friends, I am back after too long, sorry - framing has been neglected as I try to finish the house for my new workshop.

I am noticing that when I am cutting with my Futura, the blade enters at a strange angle but when it is actually cutting through all the board it is fine but I am getting weird bits where the corners almost look like the mountboard is being compressed. I shall try and replicate it in a photo and stick it on but I think my problem is using the wrong blades.

I use a mix of Arqadia conservation and Wessex Low Cost and the problem only seems to be with the Arqadia. Which blades should I be using?

Thank you my friendly framers.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Blades for Keencut

Post by pramsay13 »

Try a new blade.

Sometimes when the blade gets dull this will happen.

Are both boards the same depth?
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Post by cebrooker »

Both are pretty similar, The Arqadia seems to be a bit more dense and harder to cut. I have tried new blades but think it is a thickness issue.
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

For standard thickness boards the double edge 0.012" blades should be fine, that's what I use on Arqadia and Bainbridge boards. Single edge blades will also work, these are designed specifically for thicker boards, so 2mm+, however you only get half the use out of them. If you are using a single edge blade make sure you are using the right end, the one with the arrow, they only work one way round.
I would agree with above the compression at the start of a cut is typical of a dull or damaged blade, you shouldn't be getting a problem on regular board and a new blade. If its a thickness issue you would be getting a hook or curve at the start of the cut rather than compression the blade will still enter a thick board cleanly.