Mounting options?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Mounting options?

Post by StevenG »

Hi folks

I have this little paper cutout thing, the customer wants it framed but to be honest I'm exactly sure what to do with it. :?

As you can see it's fairly deep - that's not a problem, I can build something to allow that but I think it's too deep to hang on a wall? I thought about creating a 'shelf' inside and attach the item to that. I'm at a slight loss, the customer isn't giving me any pointers either so I reckon I've got a reasonable amount of room to try things out.

Maybe I should just suggest some type of acrylic display case?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Steven
Attachments
IMG_20191214_141849.jpg
IMG_20191214_141840.jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Mounting options?

Post by Not your average framer »

The secret here is to make everything look like that's the way it was always meant to be. This is not so hard as you may be thinking. Choose some blue mount board of the right colour to match the blue used on this artwork and mark out the fold lines required to form a display box. Cut part way only through the fold line from the white side of the mountboard and completely cut through and remove the waste sections that are not required at each corner of the display box.

Fold together the box by folding up the box with the blue face of the mountboard inside the box and tape together the corner joins along the outside of the box. The artwork needs to be positioned inside the box you have just made, but the method of fixing requires reversibility and here's the cleaver bit. I would be thinking about using a very thin transparent thread to retain the artwork in position, in the least visible positions possible, while also not sewing through any part of the artwork.

A suitable box frame section will need to be fabricated to contain the mount board box and the artwork. By it's very nature, this involves a lot of fiddly work and you should be careful not to underestimate how much this will involve. So be careful not to quote a price that is too low and also make sure that you go about this job, starting with making the mount board box first and making the frame to fit this afterwards. I like to dry fit the frame bits around the internal box and adjust the lengths of the bits to fit, before final assembly, so that it looks perfect.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I would create a box frame whether it was going on the wall or sit on a a piece of furniture.

I think if i were having to choose and the budget ran to it, i would make a boxed frame. I would go with a similar white to the item as mountboard on the inside and would mount a small hidden led light in the top of the box frame. I would get a low watt, not anything very bright.

If i were making it to sit on a sideboard or such, i would make a nice plinth for it to sit on.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Would you use colour to connect the inside of the frame and the artwork, or do you have a different thought about this. It's always interesting to compare ideas.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

The 2 obvious options are matching the white paper or blue as you suggested. Both would work and it would be personal preference, but i think i would go white. I thunk the sides on show are quite big and would be too much blue, given the individual small pieces of blue in the papercut. Just my thoughts though.

Rose and Hollis A356 has a 75mm rebate so building that moulding out may make life easier and it is not a big chunky frame which nay overpower the papercut.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer

Yes that makes sense. My thinking was to allow the edges of the artwork to be easily discernable. Hence the contrast around the edges.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

Isn't the customer going to give you a clue as to where he/she intends to display the item?
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies,. I'll get a proper read later & sadly the customer has given me nothing to work worth. At this time of year part of me wants to give it back :lol:
prospero

Post by prospero »

This is one of those things that departs from picture framing and strays into cabinetmaking.

It really isn't suitable for wall hanging. It would resemble a pregnant fire alarm switch. :roll:

Making a standing display box would be my choice. With glazed side and possibly top. Not rocket science if you have
the right woodworking kit. Or simply get an formed acrylic case made and make a plinth. The last option is the easiest
as you could do it with conventional framing kit.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Steven

I feel your pain :( (I have a couple of jobs like that at the mo')

In a life time of framing I have never turned away work. But on occasions have thought "why did I take this on"? There must be an easier way of making a living :giggle:

It strikes me the biggest problem you have with this particular job is not the execution but the co-operation and communicating with your customer.

if it were me I would arrange to speak with your customer and explain the options with clear costings. I would also include a hefty PITA charge and offer them time to think about it. They may well go away to "think about it" and not come back :giggle:

Peter.