Can any help me

Bob
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Medals how to frame

Post by poliopete »

Hello Bob and welcome to the FF :D

I have been framing for a lifetime and find framing medals very demanding. I'm not certain why but more and more sets of medals are coming my way to be framed.

I would suggests you look at some of our members web sites and see the finished results that other framers achieve. There are plenty of examples of framed medals to view.

It is often the case that other items, such as photo's, need to go in the frame along with the medals so layout is important.

The last two sets of medals I have framed have needed to be removed from the display on certain occasions. To be able to do that the front of the frame must lift off. It was a technique demonstrated by one of our very skillful ex-members that I unashamedly copy.

Some things to think about so ask away and plan the job step by step.

Peter.
prospero

Post by prospero »

As with any 3D object it's a question of holding them still in such a way as to allow them to be removed from
the frame with no sign that they had ever been in. Maybe they will never need to be removed but you should work
on the premise that they can be.

It's a long while since I framed a medal, but one method I did employ was to lay them out on a background of foamcore.
This way any lumpy bits behind (fastenings, etc) can be pushed into the foamcore to make everything lay flat. Then cover
the foam with a piece of nice velvety-type material. HD carpet tape is good for sticking it down.

The medals themselves can be attached by various means. I favour fine copper wire- the stuff for winding electrical transformers
and such. It can be got in very fine gauges thinner than a hair and is almost invisible. Thin Mylar straps are another way, but they
tend to be 'shiny' from certain angles. One way to hold the 'gong' part of the medal still is to use a small tab of double-stick foam
tape. It's very strong. Unless you are set on not using adhesives this is a convenient way. The tabs are easy to remove as being thick
and squashy you don't have to prise it off. Slip a knife blade between medal and backing a slice it. The half sticking to the medal
comes off easily if you rub it.

Once you have the medals mounted it's just a question of devising a frame with some sort of spacer to give glass clearance.

** It's a fiddly old job so make sure you charge for all the time taken faffing about. :wink: :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Are the medals together on a bar or individual?