Framing Training (GCF) & Military Funding.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RobertoMartinez
Organisation: M Roberts
Interests: Music, art, cycling

Framing Training (GCF) & Military Funding.

Post by RobertoMartinez »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice about accessing 'enhanced learning credits' from the military, to go towards my picture framing training.
I am transitioning into the picture framing world, after 22 years in the Army. I'll be leaving the military in 2021, and I currently work at two different picture framing workshops in my spare time.

As part of my resettlement I am entitled to funding from the military towards courses and qualifications, and I'm going to undertake some expert training over the next 12 months, in order to achieve GCF.

In order for me to access the funding, any training provider must be registered with the Enhanced Learning Credits scheme, and any qualification needs to be nationally recognised at level 3 or higher.

I know members of the military in the past have accessed the money, so I know it's possible! Apparently many trained with someone in Bristol?

So my questions are;

Are there any framers on here who are ex military, and managed to use their learning credits to train?

Does anyone know of any trainers who have trained military personnel using the credits?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or introduce me to someone who can?

Apologies for the long winded post, and thanks in advance,

Martin Roberts.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Framing Training (GCF) & Military Funding.

Post by Steve N »

Welcome to the forum Martin, your 1st port of call should be the Fine Art Trade Guild, as they are the one to award the qualifications, they should be able to point you in the right direction, the framer near Bristol who used to do training is Mike Royall, damn fine guy , he is a member of the forum, just googled him
https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/royall-framing-bristol

Not sure if he is still doing the training, but no harm in getting in touch
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Mike was definitely the person near Bristol who previously did the training on that scheme - when I saw him last May he was clearing out bits of equipment ready to demolish his house and do a full rebuild on the site. Presumably he's well on the way with that now so I doubt he would still be able to offer any training.

I'm not an expert on the military scheme (my two sons are at the start of their respective military careers so this sort of thing is a long way off for either of them!), so it would be worth emailing our Chair of Framers Committee Steve McKee at fsqc@fineart.co.uk who might be able to give you some answers on this.

Alternatively there is a trainer down here in the South West who is ex-military and he might be able to answer some questions. His website is https://www.insitju.com/courses.html

Otherwise feel free to get in touch with the Guild office at info@fineart.co.uk and they will be able to point you in the right direction I'm sure.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any further help.

Jo
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
RobertoMartinez
Organisation: M Roberts
Interests: Music, art, cycling

Post by RobertoMartinez »

Thank you Steve and Jo!

I've been in touch with the guild and Steve McKee over the last week, and I think the wheels are in motion to get my local trainer at 'Fringe Arts' registered on the scheme. If I hit any brick walls, I'll definitely attempt to contact Mike, or the trainer in the South West.

Fingers crossed! Thanks again.

Martin
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Martin - having done some training with Lyn at Fringe Arts, I can't recommend her highly enough. Whoever ends up paying the bill, it will be time well spent.
Good luck
Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
ratart
Organisation: Custom Framing
Interests: Northern Art
Motor Racing

Post by ratart »

Been lurking here for a while but just signed up to concur about Lyn and Fringe Arts. I did a 3 day course, learnt huge amounts and had a really good time. Lyn is an excellent tutor.