Morso Set Up - Thanks

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Tom Chambers
Organisation: Framed By TC
Interests: Photography

Morso Set Up - Thanks

Post by Tom Chambers »

I just wanted to say thanks to all those who over the years have provided advice and guidance on this forum.

I recently had morso blades sharpened and after fitting was starting to get frustrated with my Cassese CS1 and gaps in joints after gluing and underpinning. :head:

I was looking at splashing out to upgrade underpinner when I did a search on the forum for Morso set up advice and found lots of great stuff, especially around adjusting the left fence. I had used a straight edge to get everything aligned and it turns out that this was now causing a problem. Having now played with small adjustments to the left fence I have now managed to get tight closed corners, so no need to throw out the underpinner.

So wanted to say thanks to those who take time out to answer questions, now been learning lots on hand finishing and will be giving that a go in coming weeks.

Cheers
Tom
prospero

Re: Morso Set Up - Thanks

Post by prospero »

I am pleased to hear that Tom. :D

The left fence tweak is a useful thing to know and not in the instructions. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
framingengineer
Organisation: Leicestershire
Interests: Flight simulation, recording, staying as far away from framers as possible........... sorry farmers.

Post by framingengineer »

It’s true.... tweaking the left fence can sort out angle issues. But if these angle issues weren’t there previously and started after sharpening blades I would be suspect if
1 blade sharpening
2 blade set up

It is common for blades to go off true after sharpening
Warping, twisting and delamination although fractional can effect the cut.
Most common is badly sharpened blades

A simple test is to cut your left and right on an offcut of flat wide then do a final shave on both ends. See if you can feel the Mouldings being pushed away from the blade.
If it is then you have a damaged blade and will always have a problem getting the joints right.
Neil
framingengineer.com
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Whilst I have used the left fence tweak I've had limited success and I do think (as Neil suggests) that it's a sign that something else is afoot.

Over the years, it's coming on 10 now and I know that's still infant days compared to some but I've had my fair share of Morso/Cutting issues and every single time it's been down to the blades not being quite right - whatever the reason, actually the majority was down to how they were sharpened. I've had to buy new sets during my troubleshooting phases and again, 100% of the time new blades fix the problem.

I know a new set of blades are expensive but I lost more money on time, ruining moulding & getting them sharpened by the wrong people.

I really do hope that your tweaking has resolved the headache as I know only too well the stress and frustration that comes with cutting issues. :)

All the best
Steven
Tom Chambers
Organisation: Framed By TC
Interests: Photography

Post by Tom Chambers »

The blades were new last year and I am confident they have been sharpened properly. If I am honest the issue with corner gaps was probably there previously and not sure I had fences properly aligned before. I have gone through all the advice on the forum and now getting better quality corners, and now know what to look for as blades dull and how to check.

Thanks for all the advice, definitely makes a difference.

Cheers
tom