What do you use as a mounting board in your matted frame?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
oppositebackwards
Organisation: Ålgård Fotostudio AS
Interests: Games

What do you use as a mounting board in your matted frame?

Post by oppositebackwards »

I've been mounting art to the same type of board as I use for the windowed mat.
Many shops around here don't seem to be doing this and sometimes ignoring the undermount all together.

What's your process and do you charge for your backmat or calculate it into the price of the mat?

How many layers are your typical sandwich?

I've been trying to find these topics on the site, as I'm sure there are several posts about it. But it's been a struggle, so I'm hoping my post is decent.
Thanks in advance!
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: What do you use as a mounting board in your matted frame?

Post by Steve N »

If you the same quality board for your backing mount/ barrier board, then I don't think you can go wrong, so if you are using conservation mounts, then use conservation mount for the backing mount, if you are using museum boards, then use museum board for your backing mount. As for charging for , well yes you do (well I do), whether you charge extra or build it in to you pricing, with me it's built into the 'finishing charge', as I always use a barrier board , whether I'm using a mount or not, if I get any mountcard with marks or scuff marks on the face side, I use these for backing mounts and as barrier boards, I'm working my way through my stock of discontinued/ or ones I have had hanging around for ages (the ones which you don't sell very often ) and I'm using these for the backing mounts.

As for other shops not using them, well that's up to them, which can work to your advantage, make a framed picture up, but cut across one of the bottom corners so you can see the different layers that make up that framed picture and label all the parts, with an explanation on why they are used, then pop it in your shop window, frame 3rd in ordinary glass, another 3rd in conservation glass, and the last 3rd in ART glass (no reflections) to show off the glass options
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Undermount/barrier board of the same quality as the mount. I use offcuts/dropouts and make a separate charge for them.

Most of the time we use double mounts, undermount and then a backing board (CorriCor Mk3).
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

As above, always an undermount the same quality as mount and always mounted on the the back of the undermount board, not to the facing paper (top layer) of the board. I always tape my sandwich of glass mount and undermount. Backboard on afterwards.
Its calculated into the price. All fallouts and offcuts are kept for this purpose.
As its been said before, doing it the best way, sets us apart from framers who haven't been trained well.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't buy anything special just to use for an under mount, but just use normal conservation mount board, for me it makes no sense to buy something that I stock for only that use, when I can just buy larger quantities of my normal conservation grade mount board at an alreay very favorable discount price. Like many others I use up many of my mount board scrap specifically for such use.

It is also not uncommon for me to use Correx behind the under mount to provide a waterproof barrier, when taping up everything into a waterproof sand which for anything framed specifically for hanging is a bathroom. Although there is no such thing as a recognised standard specification for conservation backing boards, I will use a Piece of Simons own conservation backing board behind the completed sandwhich and regard the final backing board as something which can be replaced, if it is necessary to reopen the completed frame at some future date.

My considered opinion is that the final backing board is not usually fixed to anything within the frame to facilitate easy removal of the backing board, without any cause of damage to other materials within that frame. If I am using brown gummed paper tape, I use an alternate backing board more suited to a water based adhesive tape.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

At the moment I am mainly using Peterborough Conservation mountboard as the undermount. I "book mount" most images.

Some time ago one of the leading suppliers had this make of board on offer because they were discontinuing it. I recall asking on here if the price was right. Even at the offer price my outlay was considerable at the time. It has turned out to be a good purchase because I charge the same price as if I were buying conservation board at the current list price. So no big price hike when I run out of this board.

Peter.