Moulding ID

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ade704
Organisation: Framing Incredible
Interests: Poker, film, reading, skiing, SCUBA

Moulding ID

Post by Ade704 »

Morning all

Searched everywhere for this one and can't find it. Customer wants half a dozen to match if we can source it - 73mm wide, 26mm deep, glossy black.

Any help identifying it really appreciated.

Many thanks, Adrian
Attachments
2020-02-27 18.20.13.jpg
Adrian Meakin
Framing Incredible Ltd - Blackpool
prospero

Re: Moulding ID

Post by prospero »

Looks to me like a custom made line made for a framed picture manufacturer. If so it has probably never
been available for the indie framer to buy. Also looks plastic. :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Ade704

Post by Ade704 »

Hi Prospero

Thanks a lot. Thought it might be something like that.

Thanks again, Adrian
Adrian Meakin
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I can only see the photo and seeing it for real might not be the same, but from what I can see,I think to myself "Oooo, that looks very nice". I don't think that I have ever seen that particular moulding in any UK moulding catalogue. Could it be possible that it's come from overseas, or something like that. Not everyone knows this, but there are some really amazing mouldings that you see on the walls of hotels, conference centre's and the like, which have never been available from the normal UK framing suppliers. Some of these frames and mouldings are just limited to particular markets.

Any ideas of copying such a frame as a hand finished project, would be extremely difficult, if not impossible. When I fist got started, I bought a lot of older stock from someone who was closing down, this included some mouldings which had been specially imported from the USA and were in fact from Larson jhul's USA catalogue range. They were stunning and I've never seen anything like them since. Maybe, you are not going to be able to find anything like this moulding, who knows!

The finish reminds me of some mouldings, from Frinton mouldings of about 10 to 20 years ago. It's a bit of a long shot, but it might be worth asking the question, just in case! It may even be a "one off" from a limited run of a moulding specially produced for one particular framer only. I get various potential customers, who bring in frames that they expect me to copy and a lot of the time it never comes to anything. Sometimes, the cost of making up what they want, is more than they are willing to pay, or copying the finish and profile is too hard to do.

I make some of my earnings from copying old frames, but it's a lot harder to do that you might be thinking. Some customers are convinced that you can do anything, but that's not always the way that things are and making a decent living out of copying old frames, is not necessarily something that always works either. Having said all that, it's a stunning looking frame.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ade704

Post by Ade704 »

Hi Mark

Thanks for the great reply. I have had a word and she is going to be ok with something close that doesn't exactly match so the search is on.

Thanks again.
Adrian Meakin