Organisation: None yet
Interests: Running
Gym going
Allotment
Hobby/future business picture framing

Keencut System 4000 glass cutting

Post by JJ Frames »

Hi Everybody

We’ve recently purchased a 2nd hand System 4000 which we’re struggling to cut glass with.
When trying to cut glass the wheel barely scores the glass despite attempts to adjust the pressure setting.
Is it simply a case of buying a new cutting wheel or does anyone have any tips using the machine for glass cutting?

Thanks in advance
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Re: Keencut System 4000 glass cutting

Post by Chris_h »

When mine struggles to cut I just change the glass wheel and it's like a brand new machine. The only trouble is Keencut have discontinued the glass cutting wheels for these, they certainly have for the white ones anyway.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Agree, if the wheel sounds like it's just sliding down the glass and not scoring,its axwheel change..
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Alas this is true. The glass cutting wheel for the earlier Keencut System 4000 cutters are no longer available. These earlier cutters are those with the white plastic holder for the glass cutter. If you have a Keencut System 4000 cutter where the glass cutting wheel is mounted in a black plastic moulding you will be alright for now as these are still available at this current time. If you store and cut your glass in a unheated place, you need to be aware that cold glass is a lot harder, that glass at a normal room temperature and is really too hard for the glass wheels. If you are cutting glass under conditions below about 10 degrees centigrade, which is the temperature below which I found that ruined by glass wheels on my old System 4000 cutter, then this becomes a problem.

When I first heard about the lack of availability of these glass cutters, I did not have a spare glass wheel and it was too late for me to buy one. As a result I have bought a refurbished Fletcher Terry 3100 cutter to replace my Keencut System 4000, as a viable solution to the problem. I originally bought my Keencut System 4000, as secondhand approximately twenty years ago and it has served me well during the last 20, or so years, but nothing lasts forever and it's time for something new. It may be worth consideration by some, that even without the ability to cut glass, the ability to cut mount board and backing board still remains.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Have you tried dabbing a drop of white spirit on the wheel/axle?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to spray a little bit of GT85 on the glass cutting wheel, but the improvement becomes less as the wheel cuts more really cold glass.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JJ Frames
Organisation: None yet
Interests: Running
Gym going
Allotment
Hobby/future business picture framing

Post by JJ Frames »

Great advice guys, thank you.
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Post by whitbyframer »

I bought my System 4000 second hand when I set up just over two years ago and have never been able to get it to cut glass. I tried replacing the cutting wheel but the whole head just seems to slide over the glass, and the board cutter won't cut straight either, so all I use it for now is cutting MDF. I had to learn how to cut glass by hand instead. :head:
pepper
Organisation: Stuffed Pepper
Interests: All manner of craftiness, of course including picture framing!

Post by pepper »

There are two types of glass cutter, the earlier one is in a black holder it can be obtained through Lion individually or Keencut (code TCGCW £11.16 each sold in packs of 5), if it is the later one in a white holder it is no longer available from Keencut but it is available from GlassParts in Southampton on 800-975-3436 https://www.glassparts.co.uk/plastic-wh ... arch=white.

Regarding the setting up of the wheel there are two adjustment screws the lower one sets the position of the wheel in relation to the glass surface. It should be set so that when you press the head in and slowly lower it towards the glass that the back of the wheel is about 1.5 to 2mm below the front surface of the glass.

Once that is set use the other screw to adjust the spring pressure. put glass in the machine score a line but don't snap it, look for a continuous light line. If it is feint and dashed turn the pressure screw 1 full turn clockwise, if it is heavy and chips of glass fall out turn the screw anti-clockwise. Slide the glass a 1cm to the left and score again, inspect, adjust, score, inspect......... Do it scientifically by keeping note of you adjustments until you get the light continuous line.

Most of this is in the Instruction Manual which I can sell you for £28 + vat or you can get it on the Keencut website for free :D
Get it here https://www.keencut.com/resources/info- ... -machines/
Attachments
S4000 gc set.PNG
S4000 gc set.PNG (18.85 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
pepper
Organisation: Stuffed Pepper
Interests: All manner of craftiness, of course including picture framing!

Post by pepper »

Me again, Part 2,...... If none of that works or it is inconsistent there is a problem elsewhere, if you need proof takeout the glass cutting wheel and hold it between finger and thumb, run it down the glass to score then break with your fingers. I have done this many times with both types of wheel and never have I found a wheel that doesn't work!

So, check the whole delivery mechanism for looseness if there is movement it will affect the performance of the glass cutter. Side play on the rotating turret can be adjusted and so can any looseness in the swinging arm. Also check the up and down motion of the head for side to side looseness this is also adjustable by the two screws on the right hand side of the head.

Lastly, these machines came out of production about 23 years ago and they were built like a train and it is testament to the quality and design that there are still shed loads of them around. So is it fair to complain that they are not giving support nor have spares any more?

Imagine .... "Hello, is that Dell,..... I bought this computer for £1,000 25 years ago and the floppy drive isn't working properly now". Also if your machine is 25 years old it has cost you about 50p per week, how much a week has it earn'd?