Basic hobby set up?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Basic hobby set up?

Post by Justintime »

Im with Steve N...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Steve N wrote: Fri 13 Mar, 2020 3:46 pm bit of a wasted thread :sweating: :giggle:
Inclined to agree :giggle:
Justintime wrote: Fri 13 Mar, 2020 11:52 pm Im with Steve N...
Me too !
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This member has come to this forum, because it appears to be a good place to get some helpful advice. Aren't we in danger of giving this member a bit of a rough ride? How many hobby framers come on this forum asking for advice, but quite possibly have no plans to start a business, but just one member admits that they don't want to be doing framing for profit and they are given a bit of a hard time. In my own town there are customers who come to me with old frames that they picked up from who knows where and they use these old frames to frame their own paintings.

One who sometimes buys a bit of moulding from me, cuts the moulding himself, drills the corner joints and glues wooden tooth picks in place to strenghhen the mitres. There are lots of hobby framers about, who are not doing it for profit. Plenty of them have no room to do framing properly and work from their kitchen tables, etc. Working for profit in that sort situation, may not be very realistic.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

:roll:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Not your average framer wrote: Sat 14 Mar, 2020 10:47 am but just one member admits that they don't want to be doing framing for profit and they are given a bit of a hard time.
There are lots of hobby framers about, who are not doing it for profit.
Mark,
Thank you for the ticking off! I consider myself suitable chastised.
Its none of my business that Tinwasel doesn't want to make a profit.
The great majority of framers are profit driven (well I hope they are :giggle: )
Using better equipment. new or used, is one way to achieve this goal.
Tinweasel, is a bit of a one off, and is lucky when he says he can use the equipment where he is employed.
I guess few, if any, other newbies asking for advice has the opportunity to use good equipment at their place of work

When his employer discovers he is using his equipment in the lunch time, he may object and then Tinweasel will have to have a rethink.
So lets wish him luck in his ambitions.
Keith Hewitt
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Keith Hewitt wrote: Fri 13 Mar, 2020 11:32 am Pete has taught many people over the years, and most have found it most beneficial. :clap:

You can get his books from Amazon, but I often use Abe books >>>>

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... &kn=&isbn=
Wow, Pete's books appear to have gone up in value, the last one I bought was 1p from the Amazon :o makes me think I should have kept it :Slap:
Tinweasel
Organisation: Not in business
Interests: Walking, MTB

Post by Tinweasel »

OK, had to be away for a few days and it looks like I have not explained myself well.

Right as has been mentioned I'm possably a bit of a one off. I'm a full time parent with children at school. Outside of school time 9am to 3pm, frankly I don't have any free time. I was lucky enough to get a job in a framing workshop during school time. Honestly my better half earns enough that I don't need to work, but frankly I want to, it means I get to meet people who want to talk about things that aren't poo or why orange is the best colour, even if last week it was green! My boss is incredibly flexible about term times and sick children. However it's a very busy framing department, so the opportunity to learn skills that don't make money for the company are few and far between.

Now, I have discussed this with the boss and as much as she wants to help we're just to damn busy. I'm welcome to purchase materials from the company and use the equipment in my own time as long as I'm not in the way of someone working. Generally this would mean getting in around 8am for an hour. Sadly this is when I'm getting the kids up, filled with food, into uniforms and off to school, and my lunch hour is about 15 minutes long and taken with the boss as often as not. My other option is to put the job though as a regular customer and get a useful discount, but I then may not be involved in the process other than paying for it.

However I really enjoy my job, and if I can learn some skills that I can take into work that would be great, but frankly I just enjoy learning. Sadly with other commitments I generally get one evening a week free, honestly even if I quit work and set up my own framing business I still couldn't give it enough time to really make it work... In a few years, who knows but now not so much.

So if this is a waste of peoples time I sincerely apologise, I'm mearly trying to work out if the something in my head is doable.
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Tinweasel.
Sorry I called you a "He" :Slap: , but then how are we to know. Should have said the OP ( Original poster). Maybe we need newbies to state their sex at sign up :giggle:
Thanks for your latest explanation and I trust we haven't put you off your framing ambitions
You obviously have a great and understanding boss. :clap:
Wish you every success
Keith Hewitt
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hi Tinweasel
I apologise if my remark caused any offence, but a lot of members have taken the time to give you advice, including naming bits of equipment that could help you to achieve professional finished product for a small amount of money, which you could very quickly recoup if you did make a profit. What prompted me to make that remark was (which I might have read wrong) “I want to spend as little as possible “ which seem to be the trend now a days, at least you did reply to the thread with “Thank you all for your input “ where at the moment there seem a lack of good manners with members who start a thread, but never reply, (I no longer contribute to threads where the OP never say's thanks in previous threads they have started) even with a “I might give that a try” or “Didn't know that” or even with your own reply, to which I thank you and also your latest reply explaining your situation, which I can fully understand, if I can be of any help, with mountcutting advice, give me a shout.
Please do not let my remark put you off from contributing to the forum, and I hope you have a great future in this profession and take it further.
Regards
Steve :bow:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Tinweasel
Organisation: Not in business
Interests: Walking, MTB

Post by Tinweasel »

Hi Steve, no offence taken, honestly I'm a founder member of one online forum and member of others and completely understand the frustration of members not responding to on their own threads. It's something I try not to do but sadly Internet connection around here is only slightly better than mobile signal, frankly a bit of a joke when I'm only just outside the M25.

In any case I have been the only bloke at mother and toddler groups.... I'm not going to get upset by something I read on the Internet :lol:

I will admit I was hoping someone would say the Logan underpinner were OK largely due to size. My shed is 10x18 so not small but filled with bikes, tools old radios and bits of Land rover space is a bit of a premium. However thinking about it I can see why they aren't the best. I'm just going to have to sort the shed out!

Anyway thanks again everyone.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Tinweasel,

I may be helpful to you to buy some second hand equipment if this fits your plans, unfortunately there both good quality and less good quality items of hobby level equipment around, but if you are considering a particular item of equipment and don't know much about it, then you will be able to ask the other members of the forum about this item.

It is more than possible in the present difficulties, that many people who are wanting to get some extra cash in, may be selling professional, or even semi professional equipment cheaper than usual and enable you to obtain better equipment at a very helpful price. Therefore this may be somewhat helpful timing for you.

Wishing you much success,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Orde02
Organisation: Northwood Framing
Interests: Painting, flying, cycling

Post by Orde02 »

Tinweasel, I have a Logan Studio Joiner and it's great for my purposes. I also have a Logan mountcutter too which is great too. I only do a small amount of framing just now so I'd look to upgrade later but I'm making some nice frames just now with just a few pieces of equipment. Going to buy a Nobex mitre saw next and keep on learning.

Matt
Not your average framer

The loan Studio Joiner and similar items seem quite popular and there is not a lot to go wrong with just about any products like that.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
sable filbert
Organisation: framing
Interests: London, boats, bikes, ghosts

Post by sable filbert »

Hello Tinweasel.....stick with doing up the LR instead, it will be worth more in the end and fun driving it.

Vernon (long term LR fetishist)