framing vinyl records and it's problems

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

framing vinyl records and it's problems

Post by daveym »

Hi everyone,

it's been sometime since I've visited these forums for various reasons. Many of you have always been a great help to someone like myself that isn't an actual framer but uses frames for various projects. I've taken a bit if time out from designing but have recently got back into it and some recent projects of mine encorporatw using vinyl records but I've encountered a few problems when working with vinyl so wondering if anyone can help.

I know many of you refuse to use acrylic/styrene fronts and I originally only wanted to use glass fronts. I ordered 2 sample frames for 12" records online from different suppliers prior to proceeding with bulk orders. Both frames arrived damaged with glass broken. The packaging seemed reasonable. I'm not looking to go high end with frames as I also need to resell frames, so I understand sellers do not want to go to great lengths and spend an exceptional amount of money on packaging.

Due to the breakage associated with the glass it concerns me in terms of how these are handled during transit. I could not have a damaged frame arrive when selling on to a customer as it would just eat into profit and I'd be left with nothing if replacing frames + a rare vinyl record for example. Therefore the best option is to use styrene but this has caused additional issues as both the styrene and vinyl attract an exceptional amount of dust that no matter how many times cleaned just seems to re-appear. I worked with a couple of test frames and just find myself constantly wiping with little effect. It's just got far too time consuming. Can anyone recommend any advice if working with both styrene and vinyl.

Lastly I purchase frames with mounts thinking that the mount had a 12" centre hole wide enough for the vinyl to be slotted into but the pictures were deceiving as both frames arrivd with just a standard backing mount so I assume you are supposed to stick the vinyl down onto the mount. This isn't great if using a rare vinyl record but if that is the only way forward is there a particular glue to use so as to stick onto the mount or should I not use a mount and instead use a thinner backing paper and creat a few holes within the paper and glue into these holes so the actual vinyl is stuck to the backing backing as opposed to the backing paper? I hope that makes sense.

many thanks.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: framing vinyl records and it's problems

Post by Not your average framer »

Sending frames with glass through the post is to a large extent inviting trouble. If the glass is thin, then it is particularly proe to breakage, so the thickness of the glass is going to be an issue, regardless of whatever else you do. Sorry it one of those things and there's not a lot you can do about it. Also some of the strength that the glass has in this sort of use will depend upon the ability of the frame to adequately support the edges of the glass. Having a large empty space behind the glass, with nothing in contact with, or supporting the glass is also not helpful.

If the strongest and most rigid part of the frame is the glass, that's the part that is subjected to the most stress in conditions of rough handling, vibration, stress, strain, or impact. That is the problem area that you have to ensure does not happen. Unfortunately, most ways of fixing this problem, involve spending extra money. Most frames do not take into account any issues concerning postage, packaging and survival of the frame and glass when the frame is in transit.

I suggest that you look into the design, framing materials and production of the frames that you are using. I don't much like like plastic glazing. To me, it looks terrible! If something needs to look as though it is decent quality, I would not go for cheap looking plastic glazing. Are these frames that you are using ready made frames? if so you don't usually have much control of how these are made, as usually the frames are made to comply with marketing and price requirements.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't find framing vinyl records very easy, they are certainly among the most difficult things to frame, while at the same time making them look good. You might consider mounting the record inside the frame, without resorting to using a mount with a circular aperature and instead use a beep bevelled liner such as Rose and Hollis A199, or even A187 which I think llooks great. Using a liner of this sort of robustness, creates considerable mechanical support for both the frame and the glass.

I think that the glass needs to be much thicker, than the usual 2mm glass, to be much more robust if subjected to shock, or rough treatment in transit. I have a local hardware shop, which supplies 3mm float glass and that would probably be what I would go for, because they sell it in 24 inch square sheets as it quite affordable and it would save me buying a full size sheet of something much more expensive.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

As for mounting the records....

Gluing them down is a big no-no, especially if they are rare and 'collectable'. Many people use mirror screws that have a plastic
bush and cap. This does mean that you would need a thick wooden back or a block of wood fixed to MDF. It's essentially a 3D object
so you can't really expect any old ready-made frame to do the job.

Have you a friendly framer who could make your frames locally? That way you could get your glass in one piece.
This may be uneconomic for you, but with the best will in the world you can't really have it both ways. :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

To mount and fix the few records I have framed I use those domed mirror screws prospero suggests fixed to a more substantial backing board than is the norm.

On the rare occasions I send framed items through the post I have made a box for the frames from scrap wood/board strong enough to protect the glass. The basic cost involved making a protective box I pass on to the customer.

So far this as worked and I have got away with 2mm glass, anything thicker would increase the weight too much IMHO.

Peter.