Not quite cutting right

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Re: Not quite cutting right

Post by theframer »

Great News John glad your all sorted,

When you change the blades just carefully make sure that they don't catch in the groove between the fences i normally fit the sharpened blades then make sure the Lever is out so the blades are away from the fences hold the pedal down then bring the blades in with the lever to the final cut stop with the pedal held down now gently release the foot pedal and if it does not catch on the way up all is good if it does catch it will not damage the sharp end of the blades and you can adjust if required.
Hope that makes sense

Good luck
Dave
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Glad you got it sorted.

All you need to do now is stick that filed metal back into place.
John2301
Organisation: JT Event Photography
Interests: Photography,

Post by John2301 »

Blades replaced, and its cutting right the way through, I could probably take it back a slight amount, but its now cutting as Id expect.

Well.....almost.

The underside of the polymer is not as clean cut as id expect, once the cuts have been made I'm left with what I can only class as being jagged, I will post some images tomorrow. The cutting action is smooth, and full, rebate supports in position. Im guessing its because its polymer does anyone have any suggestions.

Best regards

John
John2301

Post by John2301 »

Hi Pramsay 13,

Its a bloody tough piece of steel to file :D I'm just glad i stopped when I did.

Im fairly new to this business and I'm just concentrating on one product for one customer. As with everything I just like to know how things work correctly and little issues really annoy me, especially when your stubborn like me who thinks they know best :Slap:

This forum has been a real life saver, can't thank everyone enough for their input.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

John2301 wrote: Tue 24 Mar, 2020 2:47 pm Blades replaced, and its cutting right the way through, I could probably take it back a slight amount, but its now cutting as Id expect.

Well.....almost.

The underside of the polymer is not as clean cut as id expect, once the cuts have been made I'm left with what I can only class as being jagged, I will post some images tomorrow. The cutting action is smooth, and full, rebate supports in position. Im guessing its because its polymer does anyone have any suggestions.

Best regards

John
You really have to take the smallest amount each time when cutting polymer stuff. I don't usually use plastics but experience has shown me taking less than what I'd usual do with woods give me the best results. I usually end up taking slithers off in the final few cuts
John2301

Post by John2301 »

Hi Steve,

Thats what I've been doing, I'm guessing I'm doing approx 10 - 15 cuts min, the unit that I work in is a little cold at the moment which probably will not help. I have some material I have from Mainline which ill try tomorrow, I will also include some additional pics