Table saw, best blade moulding cutting?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
carpman
Organisation: Innes Photography
Interests: photography, framing, fishing

Re: Table saw, best blade moulding cutting?

Post by carpman »

I would love to be able to buy a high end saw, but I can’t justify the cost. This is the best saw for the money I can find.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Of course, we all have to consider what is an appropriate level of expenditure to speed on such items and providing we are happy with the level of quality, durability, features and performance, that should be a good deal. There are particular difference with the Evolution range of saws and one of these is the low running speed of the blade and the possible fact that this running speed may be too low for other manufacturers blades. As a result, you are probably tied to always using the same blade.

I have never used an Evolution saw and cannot say what degree of finish will be obtained, but I have not seen any negative reviews, regarding the degree of finish quality produced, so you need to consider if the finish obtained from the saw cut is going to be adequate for your needs. This issue need not be a real big deal as rough sawn wood is often finish to the final required finish with a router, planner thicknesser, or whatever.

I like the sliding side table feature on this saw, which is an unusual and I think a very useful feature. I also note that Evolution saws are shown as having a 3 year warrantee in tool catalogues that I have, so I don't think that it is likely to fall apart any time soon. As long as you are happy with the low running speed of the saw blade, the likely difficulty in using other makes of blades (due to the slow running speed) and the quality of wood cutting finish, it sounds like a reasonable deal for the money.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
carpman

Post by carpman »

The point about rpm and blades is thought provoking, the rage also has smaller bore on blades.

Here is video on rage and different blades.

Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

The evolution saw still looks quite reasonable to me, particularly with a decent blade in it. As I said before, I like the sliding side table feature and the alternative to having that is to make a table saw sled, a the bottom of the sled has thickness, it will reduce the cutting depth of the saw, when using the table saw sled.

Having said all that, I like table saw sleds as they can be prepared with a zero clearance saw slot at the bottom and they can be made to be a super accurate 90 degrees cross cut every time. Also, because the table saw sled runs in the mitre gauge slots in the table top plate of the saw, you can minimise the play, or side to side movement of the runners that slide within these mitre gauge slots, carefully cutting your custom made runners to be a nice snug sliding fit.

A couple of runners cut from oak and nicely waxed to slide well and you are nicely sorted. I like my table saw sleds, to have an additional strip of wood, under the operators end of the sled, as a stop which limits the travel, by stopping the sled when the stop come in contact with the table of the saw. I also like a piece of perspex that can be locked in position above the sled to contain any saw dust being thrown about by the blade during cutting. Circular saws are scary things, if you have an accident, so any extra safety I can get has got to be a good thing.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

A large part of getting a nice clean cut is to have enough of the balade sticking out above the piece of wood being cut and having the fence properly set up to be perfectly ly parallel with the blade. Cutting with the blade slightly scewed, gives a rougher cut and increases the chance on the saw blade draging, or even wost binding in the wood, which is bad news because it can cause kick back, if it binds too much.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
carpman

Post by carpman »

this looks like the mutts nuts of smallish table saws, if you can find one.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I'd love to find a decent combined table saw and router if such a thing exists. I'm pushed for space and already have a table router but would love a table saw.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

80 teeth is the sweet spot apparently. Best quality you can afford and as said before, always wider blade than the riving knife.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I have an matte saw with 96 teeth but it’s a 300mm blade so prob bigger than a table saw blade.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer

80 teeth is not the only paamenter, but also the ratio of the number of teeth to the blade diamenter. The larger the number of teeth , the less wood the teeth will remove with each revolution of the saw blade and it is to be expected that a larger blade, will need more teeth to produce an equivalent effect to a correspndingly smaller number of teeth on a smaller diameter blade. It should be noted that, different wood types cut better, or worse on different blades with different numbers of teeth.

I have notice that I get a smoother cut on obeche, that on pine with exactly the same blade. The pine is still a nice cut, but it's got a very slightly more soft fluffy surface to the cut face. You can feel it more easy, that you can see it. This may be more, or less important depending on the particular use to which you are going to use the wood for. If the cut face is going to be glued directly to another piece of wood the face is not going to be seen, but if the cut face is going to be on display and a stained finish, you will be able to see it in the quality of the stained finish.

If I need to, I generally clean up the cut surface, by scrapping it will a small off-cut of glass. However knots usualy need a bit of sanding as well, since knots and the area around them don't tend to clean up well by scrapping. I could not get an 80 tooth 10 inch blade at the time that I bought my table saw, so I got a 60 teeth teflon coated cross cut blade made by trend and that seems to be pretty good. The speed at which the blade revolves, tends to help a lot if it it faster, rather that slower.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
carpman

Post by carpman »

Update,
After much deliberation i purchased the Einhell TC-TS 2025/1 U table saw, Toolstation had great deal of £99.98 with free postage. Currently used one on ebay with bidding at £82 with 2 days to go!

I know it is not top of the range, but at this price i can dip my toes to see if this is something i want to continue and still have some money in the budget for router table. I will need to make some improvements to ensure accuracy, and there are plenty of examples on youtube to achieve this.

Two key selling points were 2000w motor and 500rpm, I will get a Saxon 60 tooth blade to start off with.

Thanks for all the imput.
Not your average framer

I think that might be the table saw that I have got. If so it's a good bit of kit for the money. As is typical for that sort of price range the table surface is made of pressed steel, so maybe not perfectly flat, but not to bad either. The existing fence won't take featerboards, so maybe fix a suitable bit of wood to the face of the fence and screw into the wood to hold the featherboards in place, or use threaded bolts and wing nuts.

The mire slots along the bed are not like what you get on a cast iron top, but that's what you get for the money. Also the mitre square has a bit of wobble in the mitre slots, so not super accurate, but if you don't mind working on it, it's good the makings of something with some serious potential. When I get around to it, I will be putting a plywood top onto the pressed steel top and fitting some aluminium T slot extrusions into the plywood topand making a new sliding fence, also with aluminium T slot extrusions.

I like working with table saw sleds, so I will be making a couple of those. With a decent motor speed, you will be surprised how good a sawm finish you can get on soft woods, but on hard woods, the quality of the of the blades makes some significant difference to the results sawn finish. I'm not the one to advise you, but rake angles, the number of teeth and teeth shapes can make a serious difference for certain woods and applications.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Not sure if you have ordered blade yet, but i would suggest that 60 teeth is too many if you will be mainly ripping timber you will be better with 40 tooth blade.

I sometimes run with a 24 tooth blade on my table saw if i am ripping big bits of timber down which will then be planed and thicknessed. I will generally run with 40 tooth blade though which is classed as a combination blade, good for ripping, but will do decent cross cuts as well.

I have a 96 tooth blade on my 12 inch mitre saw for perfect cross cuts. Getting the right blade for the job your tool is doing will make a big difference to the results you will get.

The problem with too many teeth is it will cause the blade to get hot and will scorch the timber, also putting a strain on the motor unnecessary.

This is a good article about blade choice teeth and rakes and so on.

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/ ... saw-blades

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
carpman

Post by carpman »

thanks for the info, will mainly be doing cross cuts, mitre and cuts for splines to join frames, will check out link.