Sharpened Blades different Heights?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
dcshpwy
Organisation: PMA framing
Interests: Being outside as much as i can and Indian food, always Indian food.

Sharpened Blades different Heights?

Post by dcshpwy »

Greetings everyone, I am a newbie framer, recently setting myself up after many years working as an art handler and moonlighting at a framing studio.

I bought a guillotine second hand, and was given an additional set of newly sharpened blades. I found the original blades were chipping the moulding at the back, and thought I would switch out for the sharper ones. Now that I have come to install these,I notice that there is quite a difference in height, to the extent that it is extremely difficult to get the blades perfectly aligned - there is only so much play you can get from the bolts. Does this sound alarm bells for any of you more experienced guys? Is this common for the blades to be so different in height? And, if it is a problem, can this be corrected by re-sharpening?

All the best,

Dave
Attachments
IMG_20200720_105037.jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Sharpened Blades different Heights?

Post by Not your average framer »

They need sorting out sometimes. If you can get by with them for the moment, it's probably a good time to get the blunt ones sharpened first and it's best to get these sharpened by someone who knows what they are doing like a framing suppliers!

Go for one that, that other framers on the forum are happy to recommend, as knowing what they are doing.

Normally both blades should be sharpened down to the same depth. It's difficult to say why the are not both the same depth. I like my pairs of bladeds to be matched for height, but that's just me! Personally, if they were my blades I would get them sharped and ground to the same heigh, but I don't know if it makes any particular difference, so don't take this as any definitive advice.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
dcshpwy
Organisation: PMA framing
Interests: Being outside as much as i can and Indian food, always Indian food.

Post by dcshpwy »

Great thanks Mark! Yep Going to get the blunt ones sharpened by mainline then reinstall when they're back. Thanks for your input :D
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

That looks like, e the blades have been mixed up with someone's else's, bet there is another framer has the mirror image :Slap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Could be that one of the blades has been chipped in the past and the chip ground out, resulting in too big a difference.
The only way is to have the 'big' blade ground down to match. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Morso blade pairs that I have are stamped with a corresponding number, if they are different then it looks like sets have got mixed up somewhere.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Adding to CrisG:
You are supposed to be using a "matched pair" of blades on a guillotine cutter. If they are not the same height (size) they are not a "matched pair" any longer.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com