Reversible float mounting?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mike Polson
Organisation: Pop Cornwall Ltd
Interests: Pop art

Reversible float mounting?

Post by Mike Polson »

I have a new client, a gallery, that wants most things float mounted. But he wants to know that the artwork can be removed in tact. I've said that float mounting is a permanent process. The act of sticking an artwork down is. He has another framer who claims that with his process the artwork can be removed by applying heat, with a hairdryer for example. Do anyone know of a product that claims to have this property? I've asked Wessex Fine Art and they agree that removing artwork from adhesive board would be very risky.
I'd love some advice, I don't want to lose the client because I'm being honest about the risks!
Thanks
Mike
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Reversible float mounting?

Post by Not your average framer »

I expect that will be double sided tape, but it usually needs something a lot hotter than a hair drrier. What's wrong with the hedgehog method and using reversible water based wheat starch adhesive? All you have to do is wet the hinges a little and when the paste softens, gently remove the hinge. Float mounting using double sided tape is surely the sign of an untrained amateur and is potentially damaging to the artwork.

It's certainly not properly reversible as it will leave self adhesive residue on the rear of the artwork, which will in tine potentially permanently damage the paper and the artwork. Added to this self adhesive tapes are not a permanent way of fixed things after a while they deteriate and can potentially cause damage to the artwork from the breakdown products from the self adhesive medium if it's the wrong sort of self adhesive.

The purpose of conservation framing is to ensure full reversibility, where the artwork can be removed by reversing all the effects of framing the artwork and restoring the artwork to it's original pristine condition. Clearly leaving self adhesive residue of the rear of the artwork cannot be considered fully reversible.

After a while something hotter than a hair drier will be needed to soften the adhesive at all, which risks scorching the artwork and rendering a potential further value worthless. Clearly, the other framer, does not understand the issues concerning conservation and long term protection of the artwork, or he would not be suggesting this at all.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Have to say that what Mark says is the way to go. :D

But float mounting is a relatively recent innovation (fad is the word) and although it can look very effective, it is not
really 'preservation-friendly'. The ideal way is to use a window mount and minimal hinges. Floating demands the use of
more hinges so you have to compromise the long-term preservation and general well-being of the artwork to some extent.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I think Nielsen Bainbridge used to have a board with adhesive, I think the board was a foamcore, the adhesive was sprayed on the board so it was like very small spots, it had a low temperature melt and once you have stuck the artwork down, you could pop it back in the hearted vacuum press, and take it out and pull it off using a wide spatula, I tried it and it did work, because the adhesive was not over the whole surface it was not that hard to get it off. Sorry can't remember the name of it :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I think it was called something like Art Restore, but Is it truely full reversiblity and therefore conservation quality, if it leaves any residue behind?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

There are only 2 true conservation methods that I am aware of.

1. direct hinging onto the mountboard via pass through hinges or "V" hinges
2. hinge onto a board slightly smaller than the art and in a second step attach the first board onto the mountboard. This will raise the art off of the mountboard giving a secondary dimension.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Mike Polson
Organisation: Pop Cornwall Ltd
Interests: Pop art

Post by Mike Polson »

Thanks for the advice, and sorry about the typos in the question, in a hurry as usual!