Dulling down the finish produced by Liberon gift cream

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Dulling down the finish produced by Liberon gift cream

Post by Not your average framer »

I am repairing a guilded marbled toped wash stand which also has an amazing art deco / art nouveau transistion mirror on top. This has some of the classic art deco and also some of the classic art nouveau features in the same piece, with both the wash sand and the mirror assembled toegther it is about 9 ft high. I was not able to accommodate both top and bottom in my workshop at the same time and repaired / restored the mirror before tackling the base unit.

I am now working on the base unit. I was able to restore the mirror and in places repair damage to the gold with some magnolia gold filler / paste and this was a perfect match in ever respect. Unfortunately, now I am working on the base unit, I can no longer find the magnolia gold filler / paste and instead I am using some Liberon gilt cream. Well the Liberon gilt cream looks less dull an antique looking and it is also does not look so opaque, and it has a higher degree of gloss. So I need to tone it down a bit. I hardly ever use gilt cream, so toning it down is not something that I normal do.

I used the magolia gold filler, because I had some on hand and it was a perfect match. I've still got some of the original magnolia gold wax filler somewhere, it's got mislaid in the process of moving premises. Leaving the original finish as it was, was not an option as it have been badly treaded on the top edge where the piece of marble drops into the top. My guess is that the piece of marble has been removed and dragged across the gilded surface. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Dulling down the finish produced by Liberon gift cream

I photographed part of the mirror as I want to look into copying part of it, when I have the time and thought somebody might like to see the photo.
Fan top mirror 1.JPG
There is a bit of handy wrap across the fan shaped bit bit holding it together, because that bit was detached when they first brought it to me.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I don't know which shade of Liberon gilt cream you have but I would say that Chantille is your best bet and if you mix a little burnt umber into the cream, that should tone down the colour a bit. Better if you have the dry powder as that will matt down the finish too. Or maybe stipple some matt varnish over the cream when dry.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer

Thanks Dermot,

This old piece is a mixture of gold colours, there are bits where gold leaf was used, but also where a bronzing powder fish was used as well. The colour is not a trerrible match, I just want to make it look more antique, as it looks a bit too new at the moment. Not being used to working with this gilt cream, I was not sure what the best technique would be!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer