Fabric art on self adhesive board

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Fabric art on self adhesive board

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi all,

I have a client who has brought in some artwork on a 420 x 420mm piece of black polyester. The material itself has no hemmed edge and is quite frayed. Added to this is has a rather narrow margin / excess edge of approx 12 mm.

I had planned to mount using Newbury method but the lack of workable edge is proving tricky.

So now I’m thinking of self adhesive board, however I have zero experience using any.

Can I ask for tips, advice on what type (manufacture) and execution. I’m hoping I don’t need a press...

Thanks.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Fabric art on self adhesive board

Post by Not your average framer »

Before I started my own business, I worked in the framing workshop of a well known framers, as a training placement arrivanged through the job cetre via the governments employment servive. The normal methom of mounting fabric items for framing was to use self adhesive board and after linning up the fabric, it would be covered by the left over release paper and put into the heated press for about 15 minutes. Because the heat causes the plastiser to evapourate from the adhesive, all that is left is the acrylic part of the self adhesive coating on the board, which melts and becomes a heat activated adhesive medium and effectively dry mounts the fabric to the board. Only one member of staff ever appeared to be carrying out this operation and I never did it myself.

It's not a method that I use my self. It is not fully reversible and therefore not a conversation friendly method. It is also not something that I would expect to be looked upon very kindly by any proffesional standards bodies either. So yes, with care it can be done, but certainly don't regard it as best practice, or a proper conservasion level method, because it is not. However if done skillfully, with a window mount covering up the edges is can look reasonably presentable. This company turned out crazy volumes of framed work, because they knew lots of short cut methods and they also had a good reputation for their framing. They were an organisation that did a mixture of bespoke and commercial (contract) framing, but made they knew how to make the work look great, even though they new how to cut a few corners to save time.

I am not reccommeding this method myself and don't use this method myself either, but that's how many old school contract framers do things.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

What sort of artwork is it. If it's a tourist thingy then I would go with s/a board. It's not like paper
and will not have the same tendency to bubble.

I have a press, so I would mount a piece of dry-mount film to a board (paper left on top) and when it's cooled
peel the paper off and smooth the piece onto the tacky film. Back in the press for a quick squeeze. This way
it does not fully bond and can be removed if necessary. But it holds hard enough to keep the thing flat. :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks Mark, this is my view and understanding of self adhesive boards and part of the reason I have no experience of them. Thank you for the background.

Prospero, yep hit the nail on the head. Did my description paint an all too familiar picture. The paints used have also stated to flake off (client is aware) so its a delicate item to work with. I don't have a heat press (waiting for Santa) and I would have thought that this might damage the item further.

So I am guessing these SA boards need heat/or substantially press to activate, I couldn't get away with a hand roller and heavy weights (books)?

Thanks for the input, have a good Friday / weekend
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

A bit of heat and a bit of pressure is generally a good combination, as the heat makes the self adhesive board nice and sticky. Also if you don't have a hot press, then perhaps you can use an electric iron instead. I've done this on occasions, with difficult jobs and if you are really careful it can be quite satisfactory. It not particularly a procedure that people who are concerned about their reputation are going to want to recommend, but all I will say is that people who feel safe to do this, have been known to have done this.

You will of course need the release paper against the artwork and a soft cloth of adequate thickness between the iron and the release paper. The heat may re-adhere the paint to the fabric, but this can be a bit iffy to aim to do. Melting the paint will quite possibly destroy any impasto in the painted finish and may press the melted paint outward to occupy an increased area, other then the area intended by the artist, so sometimes this not the best procedure.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

+Rafe+ wrote: Fri 11 Sep, 2020 9:18 am So I am guessing these SA boards need heat/or substantially press to activate, I couldn't get away with a hand roller and heavy weights (books)?
You can get pressure-sensitive SA boards that don't require a heat press, but you're braver than me if you try rolling down a large piece of polyester fabric with flaky paint on to it, particularly if you've never done it before. I've used pressure-senstive SA boards occasionally but I wouldn't be brave enough to attempt it on this job.

Is the work of any value?

If not, and assuming the customer didn't object, you could stop it fraying any further by using some "Fray Stop" on the edges. Also, if you sew some tape (or some other suitable material) round the border, it would give you a bit more "bleed" to play with. And then stretch it (gently!) around some 2mm foam board and stitch it across the back. Mind you, if this was my job, I'd probably run these thoughts by the forum first :D

It certainly isn't a conservation method, but if the work isn't of any real value, then it might be worth considering if you're short of other options.
Not your average framer

We certainly get plenty of varied experience and expertese in this game, don't we!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks Rainbow - yes agree. No there is no vale other than sentimental and was bought in India while on holiday so ... yes very expensive :D

Ok I have moved away from sticking it down. With permission from the client I have used a mix of techniques, Newbury method but also pinned the material in place around the edge fallout foamboard, I've just managed to do this without cutting into the image. Seems to be holding ok too.

Thanks for the tips as always! SA experimentation on hold again.

Have a good weekend all