Mounting work on acetate film....

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Hergest Ridge
Organisation: Stephen Murphy
Interests: art,walking, gardening,wild places,folk music,eco politics

Mounting work on acetate film....

Post by Hergest Ridge »

Hello, I've been given some architectural illustrations on acetate to mount and frame. Any suggestions on how to hold them in place? The sizes are around 700 x 1020 so fairly large. The edges will be overmounted.
I thought of making folded photo corners from heavy paper to keep the acetate in place but I'm concerned incase the work may slump and come adrift as it will only be held by the corners.
Has anyone had experience with this medium?
Thanks in advance!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Mounting work on acetate film....

Post by Not your average framer »

A large sheet of drafting acetate is relatively difficult to adequately support. Many of the earlier acetate drafting sheets were relatively high gloss on the reverse side and an obscured matt finish on the other side. They were usually stored vertically in cabinets suspended from a punched self adhesive strip, which was adhered to the reverse gloss side. I have no idea what type of self adhesive medium was used, but the contact area of the self adhesive was quite considerable.

Large acetate drafting sheets are usually very thick and as a consequence fairly heavy, the method of hanging this will need to be sufficient to be able to support the considerable amount of weight involved. If you are going to mount this using some sort of self adhesive tape, it will require something with a very powerful adhesive bond and fairly substantial physical strength as well.

Be very careful with it, if it gets creased, the chances of removing the crease are close to nil. Architects often store large plans rolled up in tubes and removing the tendancy of acetate which has been stored rolled is very difficult. I don't know what is the best way of doing this, but it won't be easy.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Acetate has a limited shelf life due to its chemical composition. If you smell vinegar (acidic acid), it has already begun to decompose.
The AIC recommends storage in cold dark conditions. It would be best to frame a duplicate on either polyester or paper.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It sounds like something to leave well alone and let somebody else have all the trouble. Now that I'm 68 I don't work 6 days a week anymore and I am able to enjoy being a bit picky about what I am willing to dp and what I choose to turn down. It's one of the benefits of getting older!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer