Get help and framing advice from the framing community
thecreative
Organisation: The Creative Art Company
Interests: art
photography
renovation

Cheapest easiest set up for simple frame making

Post by thecreative »

Following on from Mark's very helpful replies in my other post I would welcome suggestions for a quick and easy cost effective set up to try making my own frames.

Only looking at 20 x 16 preferably in a reasonably wide moulding 55mm and over.

Complete novice so from what Mark said mitre saw, underpinner etc.... and anything else (I'm not looking to cut glass etc just a 20 x 16 frame thats solid, square and saleable with my paintings in.

Thanks in advance, forum is a great source of knowledge.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Cheapest easiest set up for simple frame making

Post by Rainbow »

mitre saw
Hi, I saw you mention Polcore on another thread. I might be wrong, in which case someone will hopefully correct me, but I'm not sure a mitre saw is suitable for cutting Polcore, although you might have just mentioned Polcore in passing and not be planning to use it.

I use a mitre saw, but only on wood mouldings. I use it in conjunction with a mitre trimmer to ensure a nice neat join.

https://www.axminstertools.com/nobex-pr ... saw-800383
https://www.axminstertools.com/axcalibe ... mer-951813

Together they give good results for low-volume work. You may not need the mitre trimmer - I haven't always had one, it may depend on the moulding as to the results you get from the mitre saw on its own.

The clamp that Axminister are selling with the mitre saw looks useless - it's much too lightweight. And I'm surprised that they're selling the saw with a 18tpi blade. My saw is fitted with a 24tpi blade, and I don't think I would have changed the spec when replacing the blade if it hadn't already been supplied with a 24tpi blade.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

It might be worth considering chop kits. You would only then need an underpinner and some basic tools and no need to hold stock. Not sure if plastic frames are available on chop though.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
thecreative
photography
renovation

Post by thecreative »

Thanks, to clarify polcore was only because it comes readymade was cheap enough, wide enough and looks the part.

I will post photos when the frames arrive
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I doubt if a manual mitre saw would be much use with Polcore. Also besides not cutting glass you probably won't be thinking of cutting mounts either, at least maybe not for yourself. If you start doing a bit of framing for customers as well, that's a completely different ball game and not what we have been taking about so far.

What we are talking about at the moment is heavily cost driven and only focused on the problem, you have been trying to solve, so far. If you are thinking about starting a picture framing business, the costs involved in doing this will be on a very much larger scale and things would get much more complex very quickly.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
thecreative
photography
renovation

Post by thecreative »

Sorry I didnt explain very well, I meant the polcore options on the ready made frames are OK, I don't intend to cut polcore.

I'm not looking to frame for others merely find the elusive black frame that will do the job.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Have you considered making you own frames from a bare wood moulding and painting it? :D

More work, but you could 'get away' with using basic equipment as any imperfections would get made good in the finishing process.

Also the frames would be exclusive to you and be higher quality than any pre-finished frame on the market.

Another plus is they always be touched up perfectly if they get knocked.

Unless you want a high-gloss wet-look black then I would think carefully about this. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
thecreative
photography
renovation

Post by thecreative »

Sounds like a good idea as I've been painting up premade frames but there already vinyl wrapped so I'm not happy with the finish to sell.

Where would I get reasonably priced bare wood moulding in 55mm plus size?
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Don't Wessex pictures do a chop and join service? That would be by far your cheapest option, I would have thought. No steep learning curve, expensive equipment or storage and wastage issues. Just a handful of hand tools and tapes and hanging fittings.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer