What car?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mebmate
Organisation: Pizienwell Arts
Interests: Chess, Landscape Gardening, DIY, Drama, Literature, Music, Tennis, Cooking

What car?

Post by Mebmate »

My faithful V reg Volvo V70 estate has finally gone to the scrapyard in the sky. What vehicle do other framers use nowadays; particularly for transporting sheets of glass flat and large pictures?
TheV70 was perfect for this as
a) the gap between the wheel arches was about 1.5m i.e. wider than a standard sheet of glass
and
b) the back seat folded down completely flat with the boot space which was longer than a standard sheet of glass.

The type of vehicle I am looking for must be a workhorse as I am also a garden designer (sometimes having to transport copious amounts of manure and garden rubbish) and a property manager (sometimes having to move furniture between properties clear rubbish from properties that tenants leave behind).
prospero

Re: What car?

Post by prospero »

My old '99 Discovery is presently in semi retirement. :cry: It runs fine as it's only done 71000 miles. It's was great for transporting
large items. You would not believe the stuff you can get in it. I recently dropped on a '06 Range Rover Sport which has lots of bells'n'whistles
but is not so versatile when it comes to shifting awkward things. Cars of yesteryear were more 'boxy' and this is a great advantage when it
comes to transporting pictures and such. I used to have a Granada estate and that had a flat 6'x4' load area. Not many cars can claim the same.

I don't tend to transport so much stuff as I used to, but if I had to do it regularly I would probably get a Transit. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I bought a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4, at the moment only my wife is permited to drive it, but I am learning to drive a disabled adapted vehicle and this will involve having a twin flip accelerator pedal where the normal right hand excellerator folds up out the the way and an alternative left hand accelerator folds down. I mostly bought it because it's easier to get in and out of and it's easily adapted as well. I am not expecting to be transporting much in it as I will probably be hardly using it, but it gives me back some of my mobility. I am learning to driver with a driving instructor in a disabled adapted car and eventually our own car will be professional adapted, by an approved company.

Having said all that the Skoda Yeti has plenty of space in inside and the rear seats can be unclipped and removed for maximum space. Also being a two litre turbo disel it's got a lot of power is reserve, the road holding is also superb and in my case I also will only be permited to drive an automatic and driving a manual would not be something that I would want to anymore. Since I am now to some degree disabled after my stroke, the higher than normal seating position gives me extremely good visibility in every situation, which is a very big advantage when driving. We were taken out into be garage owner doing the driving and knew pretty much straight away that this was the car for us.

It's got a masive amount of space and it's equiped very much like a land rover, but at a much lower cost. We bought ours as secondhand and were very pleased with what we thougt was a very good deal.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I have a Nissan Xtrail T31 model post 2007. I collected my Hotpress with an inch to spare. Apart from the DPF which requires regular diesel additive its a great vehicle and a very good 4x4 when required.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer