What mount cutter?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RobP
Organisation: Garden House Picture Frames
Interests: Countrymatters

What mount cutter?

Post by RobP »

I am looking to buy a mount cutter.
I don't cut a lot of mounts so don't need an expensive top of the range one but something that is easy to use and preferably not too expensive. What makes or models would you recommend? or more importantly which ones to avoid??
Thanks
Robert
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Re: What mount cutter?

Post by JonathanB »

Robert -

I use a Keencut Ultimat Futura which is excellent but may be too expensive, although they've been around long enough for there to be some well-priced second hand ones on the market. The predecessor was the Keencut Ultimat Gold, which is also a really good machine, and you'll see lots of them for sale and are probably your best bet. Backup, service and spares from Keencut is good so you should be fine with either of them. I'm not sure I'd go for anything older from them.

The other main player is Fletcher, who make excellent machines, but I have no experience of them. I'm sure someone will be on shortly singing their praises.

Good luck
Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Yes, I have had a Fletcher 2200 for four years, great machine.
I have used both and I think it's fair to say mountcutting in general is frustrating to begin with, while you learn how to make the micro adjustments. Definitely have plenty of scraps on hand to practice with.
I have never used any of the hobby brands, so can't comment on those.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Not always a particularly easy question to answer. The Keencut Ultimat Gold has got nylon sliding bearing these are only obtainable for Keencut, as time goes by the day will come when they no longer provide spares support for models beyond a certain age and, if you need to replace these bearing, you won't be able to get new bearings. This may mean that your mountcutter is finished, so be aware about what this means.

You also have not told us what your budget is, or if you are happy to buy new, or secondhand. There is quite a lot of equipment being offered secondhand at the moment, some will be good, some will not be as good as it should be. If you don't know what you are buying and how to tell if it's any good, how will you know what to buy and what to avoid? Quite possibly, you won't.

If you are not used to using framing equipment, it's might be worth get some training before you start buying equipment, or buy your secondhand equipment from a framing supplier for also sells secondhand equipment and also has a reputation for looking after their customers. If you've got a reputation to lose, you won't want to be selling rubbish.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
RobP
Organisation: Garden House Picture Frames
Interests: Countrymatters

Post by RobP »

Dear Jonathan, Justin and Mark

Thank you for your replies. It is much appreciated.

I will do my research but the Kencut and Fletcher appear to be the most popular and the easiest to buy.

Many thanks
Robert