Clamps

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
MHodson
Organisation: Halo Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Clamps

Post by MHodson »

Hi. What are the best clamps to use after gluing and awaiting for the glue to dry?
TIA
Michelle Hodson
Halo Picture Framing
242 Elliott Street
Tyldesley
Manchester
M29 8DS
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Clamps

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Can't go wrong with a Bessy.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Axminster Tools do a well priced Stanley band clamp which seems to work pretty well - not as good as a Bessey but not nearly as expensive either.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Are you not underpinning?
MHodson
Organisation: Halo Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by MHodson »

Thank you all for your replies. Yes I am under pinning but I've been advised to glue first, the glue I've got which was recommended on here is taking anything between 5 and 15 mins to set so I thought clamping would make my life easier as I can crack on with other things whilst it's drying.
Michelle Hodson
Halo Picture Framing
242 Elliott Street
Tyldesley
Manchester
M29 8DS
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

The idea normally is to put glue on, and then underpin straight away, that way the wedges (v nails) are holding everything together whilst the glue goes off.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Strangely enough this thread about clamps has come at the same time as I am waiting to receive a delivery from Rutland tools which contains 20 50mm spring clamps, 20 75mm spring clamps, one pocket hole face clamp, 20 100mm clamping squares and 10 200mm clamping squares. It is worth noting that there's some really great deals out there these days when it comes to buying clamp at the moment and some really goodbargains on bulk packs of clamps too.

Many woodworking professionals have said over the years, that you can never have too many clamps and as I make up a large variety of different framing jobs, which are often constructed like carpentry jobs, I have found this to be very true. If you are thinking of getting a band clamp, just bear in mind that the ones with the metal band are capable of being tightened quite a lot, which sometimes can make an important difference when clamping a really difficult job.

Also as Prospero will probably tell you ratchet straps can be made to tighten really tight to. I have a couple of ratchet straps myself and think that they are great. I have recently made arrangements with the lady who is painting our shop front from her to sell some of the bit and pieces that I make on the internet, so I am making sure that I have enough clamps to clamp up several jobs at one time as I am hoping to be busy.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

For normal framing you shouldn't need a clamp which is why I asked about underpinning.
The pins hold together the pieces of wood until the glue sets.
I probably make between 5 or 10 frames a day, and I only need my clamps maybe once or twice a week, it is normally for really tall moulding just to hold the tops together.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I spent one week training with Pete Bingham and he used a set of these:-

https://www.rutlands.com/sp+workholding ... ands+r3104

They worked very well for hand finished framing and the little surface marks from the points of the spring clamps easily disappeared under a texture layer of paint. I ordering a set for myself tomorrow.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer