How practical is it to join two pieces of 12mm thick wood at 60 degrees to each other with a biscuit joiner.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

How practical is it to join two pieces of 12mm thick wood at 60 degrees to each other with a biscuit joiner.

Post by Not your average framer »

I do not actually own a biscuit joiner at the moment, but I am wondering if a biscuit joiner might be the solution to my problem of joining two 12mm thick pieces of flat pine, which are 46mm wide to each other at an angle of 60 degrees. This will require the biscuit slots to be cut into the 12mm thick ends at an angle to the wood of 30 degrees into each piece of wood.

I have a customer for batches of hexagonal wall hanging boxes, on a potentially on going basis and I'm also intending to make some hexagonal box frames for displaying and hopefully selling from my shop windows. Any ideas please?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: How practical is it to join two pieces of 12mm thick wood at 60 degrees to each other with a biscuit joiner.

Post by prospero »

Should be OK Mark. The main thing is to hold the wood still and get the cutter seated in the right position.
You can slide the joints laterally while the glue is wet, but not up/down. So it's important to get you slots right.
For repeat work I'm sure you can knock up a jig. Biscuits come in three sizes 0/10/20. 20 being the biggest.

* You may find the biscuits are too long, but you can cut a bit off. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: How practical is it to join two pieces of 12mm thick wood at 60 degrees to each other with a biscuit joiner.

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks Peter.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer