My CS-88 has got wrecked and bits underneath the top are badlly out of line, how you you realign this.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

My CS-88 has got wrecked and bits underneath the top are badlly out of line, how you you realign this.

Post by Not your average framer »

My CS-88 has been jamming a bit during the last few weeks, but now something more serious has gone wrong. Nothing underneath appears to have loosened, the main spindle which drives the hammer holder is a long way out of being vertical and the hammer holder is not even close to being in the right place. Where do I start to get this realigned? All answers gratefully received.

Manny thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: My CS-88 has got wrecked and bits underneath the top are badlly out of line, how you you realign this.

Post by Not your average framer »

I have at last got everything realigned and back together. It's not at all obvious how to do this and the various bits do not just assmeble together in the right places, there is a lot of guess work in how it all needs to be put together and to make all the parts properly engage together when working. Also there is one piece that is able to swivel, but the manual makes no mention of the fact that this needs to swivel in to the correct orientation to align with the receive block to be able to operate.

I'm frankly not very impressed. I like the fact that these the mechanical bits of these machines are easily accessible to to work on and maintain, when things go wrong, but it is not at all obvious how the receiver block, the hammer driver and the two arms below are supposed to be aligned to make everything line up and to work together. This goes out of alignment far to easily, but the manual makes no mention of this problem in it's trouble shooting section whatsoever.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer