Borderless print - how to mount

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Borderless print - how to mount

Post by Jag62 »

Hi,

I have a limited edition print to mount, 900mm w x 250mm h, which has no borders. Customer does not want the print bonded & requires the full print to display & wants a conventional window mount. What options do I have to attach the print to the undermount & how will this work with a mount where the window is virtually identical size to the print ?

Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Neil
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Borderless print - how to mount

Post by Not your average framer »

Use a platform mount and only have a minimal amount behind the edges of the mount. You will still need about 5mm of the edges of the print to keep it adequately secure and flat, any less and it's not really enough to keep the print flat. If is a really large print, it may need a bit more.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I would attach the photo to an undermount the same size as the window mount with a color of your choice with pass-through hinges (all 4 corners). You might want to add shims of mount board to the underside of the window mount to add a slight shadow effect. This way, all of the photo is visible if the opening is the same size as the photo.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

What you are being asked is a virtual impossibility. :cry:

You could do it by floating the print on mountboard and the adding a window mount on top. But it is unlikely
that a print that size would stay flat. It might do, but it probably won't. Sticking down would solve many problems,
but you would be fundamentally altering it. Plus as the edges would be visible, you would have to be very accurate in
trimming the tissue to prevent it showing on the edges.

I would float it using the 'Hedgehog' method and hope for the best.

Do point out that it might get waves gaps around the edge. :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I stil favour the platform mount method for a number of reasons. First of all you have not specified what the thickness of the paper is and and hinging attachments may show through from behind. Secondly no hanging attachments means that the print should expand and contract very evenly with any humidity changes with the changing of the season. Thirdly the use of the platform mount does not involve any need for any hinging or attachments whatsoever, which is an ideal conservation framing solution. Forth there is nothing to affect the print from not remaining completely flat, for the duration of it's framing. Fifth, the edges of the print are free to move a little with expansion and contraction, but the edges have limited potential to depart from remaining flat, because of the small overlap provided by the front mount.

I think that there is not really much that can go wrong with doing it like that. I always like to take simple solutions, when I can!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Post by Jag62 »

Thanks all. I like the sound of the platform mount but not sure what it gives me as opposed to traditional hinge mount as it still requires a few mm to be under the mount. Or am I not understanding correctly ?

I think I'm going to challenge customer & encourage a standard mount otherwise I can foresee future issues.

The next concern is the print is long & thin (900 x 250) and paper is approx 275 gsm. I don't think 2 hinges will be sufficient so is there a rule of thumb for how many hinges should be applied (other than as few as possible) ?

Cheers,

Neil
Not your average framer

900mm is quite a lot to rely upon standing on the bottom of the sink mount part of the platform mount and gravity will tend ti allow the such a long thin prints to compress towards the bottom and tend to allow the print to develop horizontal ripples. Some srategically placed hinges at the top will help to overcome this issue and the rear insert piece that fits in from the back will be ideal to hinge this from. I would take T-hinges from the back of the print and over on to the back of the insert piece that fits behind the print inside the rear of the sink mount part of the platform mount.

As always keep it simple and straight forward, to make it easy and less to go wrong. This does not need to be a time consuming, or difficult job to do.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer