Help

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Freemo
Organisation: Freemos Frames
Interests: Framing

Help

Post by Freemo »

Hi everyone I’m new on here and have just started framing. I’ve used wood and decided to try polcore. The problem in having is getting the joint of the frame to stay together when I put the V Nails in. As soon as I put the second nail in I hear a crack and the joint is open. Frustrating for me at the min . Hope someone can help. Thanks
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Help

Post by Not your average framer »

Polymer mouldings are never as easy to join as wood. Have you tried gluing the joint with a spot of CA glue and using a less deep wedges. Sometimes it helps. Personally , I don't much like polymer mouldings and stopped using then a long time ago. They can be very difficult to join sometimes.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Poly mouldings are tempting to use because they appear to be very good value, but there are drawbacks
as you have discovered. It just does not have the same properties as wood an needs to treated slightly differently.

The smaller ones are worse. Don't put v-nails too near the outside.

If you use superglue, don't get it on the face of the moulding.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Freemo
Organisation: Freemos Frames
Interests: Framing

Post by Freemo »

Thanks for your useful replies. 👍🏽👍🏽
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Too many polymer mouldings are aimed at the bottom end of the market and you don't hear about too many businesses making all that much money out of the bottom of he market. This is only my own opinion, but I would stay well clear of any polymer mouldings which seem to be aimed at the ready made frames end of the market. Really solid chunky looking polymer mouldings are far more solid when it comes to the strength of the corner joints and excessively glossy mouldings often are a dead give away. Really glossy polymer mouldings look to much like plastic, because that's what they are, but there are still some really classic looking polymer mouldings with the kind of much more matte finishes, which you associate with better quality semi hand finished mouldings and these will sell to the more discerning customers at much better prices.

There are just too many skinny and unsubstantial looking mouldings,chasing the much too cheap end of the market. I have found that mouldings, which look skinny when looking at the side on profile, simple look too cheap. Go for the deeper and chunkier looking mouldings and attract the more discerning customers. That's where the better value sales come from. You have to produce far more volume with the cheaper items to get the same level of turn over. I don't see the point in working twice as hard to sell items at half the price, it's just not worth it. Years ago, when I was for a while buying a few polymer mouldings I was able to buy some nice and quite chunky better quality looking mouldings, which were discontinued and being discounted at a really helpfull price and these were really popular with the customers, so it may be worth checking out what is being offered on discount at the moment.

Just be sure to get a sample, before you start to spend the money, because a photo in a catalogue does not necessarily give you much idea what it will look like when it's actually in your hand.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

What my learned friend said. ^ :) ^

There are some slightly more up-market poly mouldings - mainly in the big and chunky category that look quite classy.
The ornamented ones are good because the decoration is all contiguous so won't shrink and drop off.

If you persevere with it and nail down a good working method then you could have success with it.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Assuming you disregard the cheap looking ones, well, they are cheaper generally, and you do get consistency of quality. Horses for courses.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.