Framing a book

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
photech54
Organisation: PhotoArt GB Ltd
Interests: Photography, Contemporary Art, Cycling, Entomology,

Framing a book

Post by photech54 »

Hi all,

I have a client who wants a book framed.

They want it in a reasonably deep box frame, so that it sits away from the glass.

My question is, how do I stop the book from opening without sticking all the pages together?

Also, is there any such thing as a little ledge to sit the book on within a frame? It's only a paperback, but I'm concerned that the weight of it will make it start to droop away from the spine.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Framing a book

Post by Not your average framer »

Paperback books were not originally produced with any intention that they would last, the paper is almost always of poor quality and the pages don't usually take very long to brown a start to crumble. The pages are stuck to the card cover with hot melt glue and it does not take much use and handling before the pages start to fall out.

I have in the past framed a few books and have always done it by securing the book in place with mylar, wrapped around the book and feb throuh slots in a piece of mount board at the back of the box frame. You need to ensure that the piece of mount board is glued to something solid enough to ensure that the weight of the book won't cause the mount board to gradually bow forwards as a result of the weight of the book.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
photech54
Organisation: PhotoArt GB Ltd
Interests: Photography, Contemporary Art, Cycling, Entomology,

Post by photech54 »

Great, thanks for that, gives me something to work with!
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Do they actually want it framed Conservatively
I have done some in the past, books of little value just wanted it to obviously be a book but cover art was focus point. In fact the customer stuck the pages together and I fixed to backing/mount float style
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Nothing is out of order if that's what the customer specifies. My mountboard stock is mainly conservation mount board. It costs more, or less the same price as standard white core, so why buy the white core and spend time trying to work out if your off cuts are conservation board, or not. Also the conservation boards don't tend to deteriate while in stock. So for me, I think it win/win and a no brainer.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

129.jpg
129.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
Here's one I did with the football programme 'floating' on the mountboard.

It's wrapped in melinex as per Jim Miller's instructions. If you search for it on here you should find it.
Not your average framer

That looks great. really nice!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jill Shea
Organisation: Framed of Frog Lane
Interests: Picture framing, textile work and mixed media art

Post by Jill Shea »

I have done this by fashioning little corners using florist's wire threaded through the mountboard with the book/magazine slotted into an inset mount built up with foam core. Perhaps not as sleek as the mylar wrap but easily reversible.
Not your average framer

Mylar is not the only way of doing things! Your method of using florists wire sounds great.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer