Splines, who uses them

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Splines, who uses them

Post by Not your average framer »

I've always thought that splined frames usually need to be made from nice wood, not obeche, or pine, but something a bit claasy like oak! Unless you have a useful supply of left over off cuts, you'll need to obtain some nice wood from somewhere and allow for that in your costs. Just a thught, will you need to think about how market these frames, if so how?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

If they're priced correctly, why wouldn't they be worth doing??? I'm at a total loss as to your logic Mark.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've found them really difficult to sell and they are a lot of work to make them. They would probably sell in a local where people buy lots of trendy things and don't mind spending the money. That's not where I am located! I hear that Bicester is a very well monied town where lots of trendy and financially loaded people go shopping, so perhaps the would sell well there!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's true they do look classy to those who notice and appreciate them. Which is maybe one in 1000. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About