Cutting MDF

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trecelyn
Organisation: Orchard Street Framing
Interests: Defying gravity, playing music

Cutting MDF

Post by Trecelyn »

Hi

A general question - what do you use to cut MDF backing, say 2mm -> 2.5mm? I am debating whether or not I should bite the bullet and spend on a used but quality cutter or if there are any other realistic methods. Bearing in mind that it's a small workshop!

Thanks in advance

T.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Cutting MDF

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't usually cut much MDF, but there are times when I cut the occasional strut back to a non standard size and quite often I do this with my sliding mitre saw. It with cut up to a width of 14". As long as it's not raining, I use my sliding mitre saw, or mr table saw in the back garden, but if it's raining it has to wait for a dry day.

I can get quite a nice clean cut on MDF if I take my time. It works quite well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I use an Excalibur 5000. :clap:

Hacking away with a knife is a tad irksome and not a little hazardous. :|

I previously used a 48" HD Rotatrim cutter on a wall mount. This did a good job with the (slight) drawback of having
only one wheel and therefore produced a cut that was clean on one side and ragged on the other. So the ragged edge
had to be shaved off.

A good way of sawing it is to use a Japanese pull-saw which would give a very clean cut and would go though thin MDF
almost effortlessly. But with any type of saw you would get fine dust which is not a good thing. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I have a Keencut Steeltrak which will cut 2 or 2.5mm MDF effortlessly. But I generally don't use MDF at all.

Have you considered using something like ArtBak, Corricor or even Fomecor instead, which cuts easily with a Stanley knife?
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

MDF is not a material that I much wish to use, but there are times when there is no other option. I mostly like to use a so called conservation backing board available from one of our well known suppliers. I far as I know there is no universally recognised specification for a so called consevation backing board, so it's a bit debatable what such a name for this board actually means, but at least it's better to try something a bit better than something more non descript. The extra cost is not excessive and hopefully it makes a worthwhile difference.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

I use a keencut 4000 and it easily cuts MDF, even the 3mm stuff.

Previously I had a £50 secondhand bench end guillotine which actually cut MDF effortlessly.

I use quite a bit of NDF as I also use it for packaging as it is so cheap and nice and solid.
Trecelyn
Organisation: Orchard Street Framing
Interests: Defying gravity, playing music

Post by Trecelyn »

Thank you all for the replies. Most helpful!
I am using Corri-Cor and was looking for something slightly cheaper for my less 'bespoke' output.
I have been looking for a reasonably priced bench end gullotine as this would have other applications! No luck as yet.
Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, due to dust considerations saws can't be considered.

Thanks all

Stay Safe!

T.