High Value original help

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mikey the 2nd
Organisation: New business
Interests: Work and work

High Value original help

Post by Mikey the 2nd »

Hi all
Looking for some advice please. We have a high value original piece to frame in a style somewhat similar to the attached. IE floating!
The frame, UV glass is agreed and museum matt ordered. We would really appreciate some help on how to fix the work to a standard that is correct for the work. We really want to make sure it is done correctly.
Thanks
Mike
Attachments
9128d305-d411-4f22-b1a3-8d5b63cbaf02.JPG
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: High Value original help

Post by Not your average framer »

Perhaps it's just me, but for such a well known artist would not a bit more visually impact and gravitas result if the exposed mountboard visible from behind the float mounted artwork be advantageous. If anything,I would probably raise the artwork away from the background on a piece of foam board and even consider adding a cove mount inside the frame.

I like to think that us framers like to have a trick, or two up ourselves to add a little bit of presence and visual excitment, when the artwork is something of importance.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Mike, are you familiar with the Hedgehog technique? (If not, Lions have a "how to" sheet in their info section titled "Mounting Art on Heavy Paper" or similar. That's my go-to method for floating work, with a conservation grade gummed tape, no self adhesives. If you're mounting to a board and then adhering the board to the mount below, use EVA glue as it's archival. Wessex have a foam board with a conservation grade face and back paper, FO6 I think.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, I am and I often use it to raise the artwork away from the under lying mountboard to get that little bit of shaddow between the arework and emphasize the edge of the artwork. I see that it's a Tracey Emin and probably will be given pride of place where is hangs.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mikey the 2nd
Organisation: New business
Interests: Work and work

Post by Mikey the 2nd »

Thankyou everyone for your help. Will let you all know the outcome.
Mike