Print protection

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trecelyn
Organisation: Orchard Street Framing
Interests: Defying gravity, playing music

Print protection

Post by Trecelyn »

Hi

I have a large (85cms x 60cms) photographic print for a customer. It's printed on a textured, thick paper.
I've opted to go with mounting it in a tray frame, similar to a canvas, using self-adhesive board for rigidity and a lightweight substrate behind to attach the frame. My concern is how to protect the work given that there is no glass? Is it wise to use a self-adhesive film, or fixing spray of some description?

Thanks in advance

T.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Print protection

Post by Not your average framer »

It is probably a smart move to heat seal the print surface with a dead matt heat seal film. If you are going to dry mount it on to a canvas, or linen substate, I would do this first and heat seal the photographic image surface afterwards. This can then be stretched onto a stretcher frame as you would do so with a normal artwork on canvas. It is normal to preform operations such as heat sealing in a clean dust free area and it might be wise to consider how this option is likely to impact up on your plans.

Having said all that, not all framers have the advantage of a seperate clean and dust free area and often operate within the normal workshop area and seem to manage well enough. There are some on this forum who do a lot of this sort of thing and can advise about this in much more detailed and expert way, than myself. Hopefully some of them will also be able to reply.

I as you may have guessed have my own dry mounting and heat sealing equipment and only do this on a fairly infrequent basiss, using an old style screw dowm Ademco press. Forum members who undertake dry mounting and heat sealing on a much more serious level, will be able to advise you better regarding more up to date equipment.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Print protection

Post by Justintime »

If the work is replaceable, with a Hotpress I would use an Artshield UV matt laminate. It has 99% uv protection too.
I'm sure there's an equivalent for a Drytac roller mounter.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer