CS-88 Jamming

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

CS-88 Jamming

Post by Not your average framer »

My CS-88 has just started misfiring and jamming when using 10mm wedges. I have repeatedly stripped, cleaned and lubricanted the distrubor block and the problem does on go away. It is still working just fine with 7mm wedges. I can't understand why this should be. The CS-88 is not much more than two, or three years of use.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: CS-88 Jamming

Post by StevenG »

Hi Mark

I had a similar issue a while back - it seemed to be caused by the cartridge spring (fiddly thing to replace btw)
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks Steven,

Thet sort of makes good sense. I the spring does not push the wedges far enough forward, the hammer blade can get jammed alongsine the wedge, but as the wedge and hammer move further to wards the exit slot at the top of the reciever block there is no space for both the wedge and the hammer blade so everything gets jammed.

The manual Cassesse underpiners have a different magazine feed spring to the pneumatic machines and it's not a spring which has a very big excess of pushing power, so that if things develop a bit of drag, the spring is not strong enough to do the job. This is probably why their wedges with the plastic shutes are advertised as being lubricated for soomth running. Perhaps they are lubricated, because the spring struggles to do the job.

Perhaps a quick squirt of GT85 down both sides of the wedges in the magazine, might be all that's needed to reduce the friction and make things work just fine.

Thanks again Steven,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

What Mark ^ said.

If you pull the wedge pusher back and release it, it should snap back smoothly and positively. Any binding or sluggish movement
means there is resistance along the channel or the spring is knackered. It's also worth disassembling the main block and giving it
a thorough clean and re-greasing. I have only done this once but I was impressed by the quality of engineering which makes it
very easy. No jamming after that. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

Thanks Peter.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer