How Can I Make Stapling Quieter??

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
philm
Organisation: CanvasCrew.co.uk
Interests: Football, family, work!

How Can I Make Stapling Quieter??

Post by philm »

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding how to make stapling canvas to the back of the stretcher bars a quieter process please?

I am looking to relocate into shared premises and it would be close to offices where they probably wouldn't appreciate the constant sound of the staple guns going all day so I'm just wondering if there is an effective way to 'dull' the sound down maybe?

I have always had carpet on the top of our wooden benches where we make our canvases and have tried doubling the thickness of this but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I do think it is quite a bit quieter if I test out stapling on the carpet on top of the concrete floor but obviously can't make my canvases down there :)

I have ordered some samples of rubber flooring (like gym flooring and for stables etc) as I thought that might absorb the sound but they are harder than what I had expected so don't really seem to help. I have looked at some cork boards which are 15mm thick and am wondering if they might help.

I'm just wondering if anyone could maybe offer any suggestions please?

Many thanks in advance!
Phil
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: How Can I Make Stapling Quieter??

Post by fusionframer »

What stapler do you use?

I recently switched to a Milwaukee 12v stapler and it is much quieter than my previous staplers i have used.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Putting absorbent materials on the bench top, or on the floor does not sound to me like it is going to be particularly effective. I use pneumatic staplers and very often these can be much quieter than electric staplers. If you contact Lion picture framing, I understand that they used to supply flow rate limiters for when using pneumatic blow guns. These have a very small hole to limit the rate of flow to your compressed air blow gun and restrict the speen that bits of grit and whatever gets blown off of your bench top, when you blow off the top of your work bench.

Compressed air can be quite dangerous for blowing off you bench, if particules blown off the bench top acquire dangerous speeds. It's an eye protection thing! However a flow rate limiter can also be used to slow down the rate of travel of the piston in a compressed air stampler, but if you leave the compressor to supply the same air pressure as before the available driving force from the stapler will remain undiminished. The stapler is just slightly slower and you get less noise.

This is a well known technique and is commonly used in industry to reduce the long tern impact of the noise on operators hearing. It is the pressure available which determines the ability of the stapler to penetrate the wood, but the speed at which the compressed air is able to fill the piston which controls how fast the piston will travel. Another possiblility is an adjustable in line flow rate limiter, which will allow you to fine tune the level of flow rate reduction to give you the best compromise between noise and speed of operation.

I hope you will find this helpful.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
philm
Organisation: CanvasCrew.co.uk
Interests: Football, family, work!

Post by philm »

Thank you both for your replies. I have used an electric stapler for a while now and used to use different air powered guns prior to this.

At the moment I'm not too sure about going back to using a compressor as well, but will take on board what you've said - very helpful thanks!

I have been looking at the Milwaukee cordless gun and might give one of these a go to see if it's much quieter. Thanks!

Phil