Wall panel saw

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Wall panel saw

Post by GeoSpectrum »

HI, im looking for a panel saw/cutter, ideally wall mounted, for cutting mdf/plywood etc, Ive looked at the Inglet Verdi Basic which would do the job but looks expensive. Has anyone any experience wit this bit of kit?

If i can find one ill be selling my Excalibur 5000 if anyone is in the market for one of those?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Dag
Organisation: www.cyfrowaciemnia.pl
Interests: Photography

Re: Wall panel saw

Post by Dag »

Hi,
Last year I exchanged my old wall cutter with this Italian Gladium:

Now it looks better than on youtube films.
I am cutting glass, foamboard 5-10 mm, HDF 2-10mm - very accurate and well thought machine.
It has v-groove options, mat cutting - but for that purpose I have Gunnar AiOX.

Dag
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Yes I spoke to Wessex about that one. They weren’t very helpful and and usual rather dismissive. There is a saw version which I might be interested in but it’s not available in the IK as far as I can see. I want to be able to cut plywood wood, mdf, And ACP.

I’m now about to make my own....I’ll report back.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

’m now about to make my own....I’ll report back.
I think that makes a lot of sense!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Dag
Organisation: www.cyfrowaciemnia.pl
Interests: Photography

Post by Dag »

GeoSpectrum wrote: Mon 22 Mar, 2021 8:40 am Yes I spoke to Wessex about that one. They weren’t very helpful and and usual rather dismissive. There is a saw version which I might be interested in but it’s not available in the IK as far as I can see. I want to be able to cut plywood wood, mdf, And ACP.
I am located in Poland, Warsaw - I found Gladium over internet - contacted producer via e-mail and after a few e-mails, and 1 phone call we agreeded configuration and after 1 months machine was delivered.

I would not bother constructing my own - it is well engineered and built.
I think you could also at least contact them and ask about details.

Dag
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Thanks, I might consider that. I’m going to to make one anyway just for the fun.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Hi Alan,

As an idea, if you are looking to use to mostly cut mdf and plywood, it could be worth considering using a track saw, but in combination with an MFT table. There is a guy on youtube (Peter Millard) who has has configured one so the track is hinged and folds up against the wall, so you just drop it down, make your cut and fold back up.

I have an mft table, and i have the Festool tracks and track saw. The other good thing about this set up is if you get the festool dust extractor collect most of the dust.

MFT tables can be expensive. I made my own portable one which goes to sites i am working and got the machined top for £30 from cncdesign.com

Downside is that it is not a wall saw, so you need space for a table. Plus side though is track saws can be very accurate and with longer tracks (or by joining 2) you can cut 8 by 4 sheets easily. When the weather was ok before i had more space, i used to use lay a board on some celotex insulation board and cut 8 by 4 and even 10 by 6 boards safely with no risk of kickback.

Anyway, just a thought of an alternative and quick way of accurately cutting mdf and ply.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

That is very interesting! Is it possible to use a track saw in a vertical plane? It might make a useful substitute for a normal wall mounted saw.

I've been thinking about possibly buying one of Peter Parfit's pre-drilled bench tops from Axminster tools. It's basically the same as the Festool MFT bench top and might be very useful for me. They produce a whole variety of bits and pieces to use with their bench tops. One of their bench top mounted on to a raise framework on the wall in my side passageway could be very interesting for me, especially if I can perform track sawing and guided routing operations on it.

My side passageway is not part of my shop, but just connects from the roadside pavememt to my back garden, but it is not exposed to the elements. Ialready store sheets of Plywood in this passage, so might be a very useful location for cutting up sheets of plywood, as I don't have room to do this in my shop. At the moment I can down sheets of Plywood in to easier to handle pieces and cut the to size using my table saw perched on top of a black and decker workmate. Not the most convenient way of doing things, it's what works for now, until I can arrange something better.

Peter Parfit's machined Parf guide system workbench tops are about £100 each and are about a metre square. Ideally I would like to have a grid of four bench tops joined together as one mounted on the wall. This of course is very expensive, so maybe not after all.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

My solution will replace my Excalibur so has to be wall mounted and needs to take 8x4ft sheets so a wall saw is the way to go for me.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Thanks for the links. My design uses V-slot from open builds and a wheel based slide made form 4mm alloy sheet to hold the saw. Hoping to make a bit of progress on it over the weekend.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Not your average framer

I too have been considering making a panel saw as well. I have been considering making the bottom slide out of a plain straigth piece of wood faced with an waxed aluminium strip. A little bit of friction can be useful to keeping the wood from sliding sideways during making the cut, I think. Many of the plunge saws used as track saws have high frequency brushless motor which I am thinking have a lot to do with low vibration. Perhaps low vibration saws is how these panel saws prevent the sheet of wood from sliding sideways during the cut.

I was not planning to use an expensive circular saw with a brushless motor as these usually cost several hundreds of pounds, but instead I am counting on a bit of friction to overcome any sideways movement, which may be influenced by a vibration due to the motor in the circular saw. If I do create a panel saw, much of it will be produced using plywood and in some places, the plywood may be layered, screwed and glued together for strength and stiffness. The actual circular saw will be a budget priced model and not one of those really expensive models.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Not your average framer wrote: Thu 25 Mar, 2021 5:41 pm That is very interesting! Is it possible to use a track saw in a vertical plane? It might make a useful substitute for a normal wall mounted saw.

I've been thinking about possibly buying one of Peter Parfit's pre-drilled bench tops from Axminster tools. It's basically the same as the Festool MFT bench top and might be very useful for me. They produce a whole variety of bits and pieces to use with their bench tops. One of their bench top mounted on to a raise framework on the wall in my side passageway could be very interesting for me, especially if I can perform track sawing and guided routing operations on it.

My side passageway is not part of my shop, but just connects from the roadside pavememt to my back garden, but it is not exposed to the elements. Ialready store sheets of Plywood in this passage, so might be a very useful location for cutting up sheets of plywood, as I don't have room to do this in my shop. At the moment I can down sheets of Plywood in to easier to handle pieces and cut the to size using my table saw perched on top of a black and decker workmate. Not the most convenient way of doing things, it's what works for now, until I can arrange something better.

Peter Parfit's machined Parf guide system workbench tops are about £100 each and are about a metre square. Ideally I would like to have a grid of four bench tops joined together as one mounted on the wall. This of course is very expensive, so maybe not after all.
I bought two from eBay for about £80 for two,1200x800 giving me 1200x1600 bench.

I wouldn’t like to use my track saw vertically, they don’t lock into the track so would be unwieldy, and the stock would be hard to hold against the wall.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

GeoSpectrum wrote: Thu 25 Mar, 2021 6:22 pm My solution will replace my Excalibur so has to be wall mounted and needs to take 8x4ft sheets so a wall saw is the way to go for me.
I’d probably start with a second hand Excalibur 4000 they come up on here regularly (I’ve just given one away, unfortunately). Then replace the head with a plunge saw?

A fletcher 3100 might be better with its two rails but you don’t see them come up as often.

I’m following this thread with interest. If I’d not given the 4000 away I might have had a go myself.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Too much re engineering plus I want to be able to cut thick MRMDF.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

How much wall space do you have?

These are fantastic bits of kit and will cut 25mm Mrmdf.

They often go for a bargain on ebay. I intend to get one once i have found time to actually sort my new workshop. I moved my machines in (in January) and set up my dust extraction, but haven't even put up any shelves or sorted timber racks.

Alternatively, you could find one cheaply in need of slight attention and use parts to make what you want.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRIEBIG-Sta ... 890.l49292

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I’d love one of those but the space I have is minimal.enough for for an Excalibur but not much more....
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Kweji
Organisation: wood worker
Interests: farming, wood working, use latest tools and machines

Post by Kweji »

I recently checked for the circular saw. There are many advantages there and I want to add it for working effective and efficient.
Not your average framer

I think that there's plenty of scope for smaller volume framers to benefit from being able to create some kind of wall paner saw. It seem fairly obvious to me that large volume frames can easily justify having a wall panel saw, but why not smaller volume framers as well? I have inherited a reasonable volume of slat wall boards and the aluminium channels which slide in to the groves in the slat wall boards. Two pieces of slat wall board either side of a wooden board carrying the circular saw can be easily configured to enable the circular saw to slid accurately while cutting to a straight line, with the sliding wooden board being a suitable slding fit in the aluminium channels. I think that this solves the need for a lot of work producing the sliding mechanism.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Or try a track saw? I’m collecting saws it seems and my latest acquisition is a Makita track saw. Superb quality cuts and as it is battery powered very convenient. Pricey though at over £400.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing