Cutting Aluminium composite panels (Dibond)

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Cutting Aluminium composite panels (Dibond)

Post by Not your average framer »

I have not so for got into using Dibond, but I am beginning to think about it as a possible next move. I will not necessarily order it in cut to size, but I may well keep a sheet in stock and cut it my self as needed. Does anyone else do this and what is the best method to use for cutting it?? I am thinking about whether I can cut it with a minature circular saw with an 85mm diameter 80 tooth blade and a guide track to suite the saw.

I am not much in to getting materials cut to size elsewhere as I don't like hold up's while I am waiting to do the job. I aim to have most things in stock so that I can get on with the job as quickly as possible. Any thoughts.

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Re: Cutting Aluminium composite panels (Dibond)

Post by Richard Photofusion »

You almost certainly can cut DiBond with this. Normal practice I think is with a fine tooth negative rake blade. Expect lots of statically attracted dust.

For clean cuts, my first choice would be a Steeltrak... But other methods include score and snap - cut through the top aluminium skin with a really sharp stanley blade, then fold over the hard edge of a work surface, and wiggle snap. Clean up with a file / sandpaper / de burring tool. I've done this a few times when I've needed cuts longer than my Steeltrak can handle. Didn't enjoy it, but it is doable, and I know of people who use this technique all the time. I've either used a big safety ruler, with rubber base, or the cutting bar from our big bench. I see no reason why the score cut couldn't be done one something like a 4000 wmc.

Genuine dibond has .3mm skins, cheaper options tend to be .2mm, so are easier to cut, but less rigid.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Cutting Aluminium composite panels (Dibond)

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Richard,

Thanks very much that's really helpful information. Score and snap sounds great to me and saves my needing to buy a miniature circular saw and this would be an easy solution for me.

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer