Morso F or Not

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Tasar
Organisation: NoCo
Interests: Just getting into framing

Morso F or Not

Post by Tasar »

Afternoon all,

I recently purchased what I thought was a refurbished Morso F from eBay and in a separate auction managed to get a RH extension table. I was in the process of working out what I needed to bolt them together when I noticed that the guillotine had different end plates as I was expecting two screw in holes but instead I found this.

Does anyone happen to know that type of guillotine I ended up purchasing as I’d like to understand what I’ll need to do to get it up and running.

Thanks

Chris
Attachments
B65A1743-2D79-4930-8AA0-31F0F7E75016.jpeg
prospero

Re: Morso F or Not

Post by prospero »

Have you looked under that plate?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Tasar

Post by Tasar »

When I take the plate off, this is all that’s behind it
Attachments
1987F09E-7C6B-4C40-90D9-D075E8CC91D2.jpeg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have been told that there are other versions of the morso, which are made for both the carpentery / joinery business and the window making industries. I have never seen what these other vesions would look like, so I can't tell you if this is what you have got. The all important questions now is how to fix the measurement extension on to your morso at the correct length to make the measurement extension produce the correct readigs, while also corresponding to the correct cutting position to make accurate length moulding cuts.

I am thinking that the end of the casting with the missing mounting holes, which you were looking for have been cut off on your Morso and as a result about two to three inches are missing and somehow the right hand end of your Morso needs to be extended enough to make up the missing distance, otherwise the measurement extension will be produce accurate readings. To correct this problem is likely to be prohibitively expensive. Unfortunately the measurement extension is very heavy and I can't really see how you will be able to fabricate something strong enough not to droop under the weight of the measurement extension at a worthwhile cost, that stand any real chance of providing an adequate result.

I am very sorry not to be able to suggest any satisfactory way of correcting this, to provide a satisfactory solution to this situation.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

It should have a serial number somewhere, List is the Dan List serial number guide.

http://dan-list.dk/resources/history.html
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

If you were working with a mitre trimmer, there would be no measurement extension and you would cut the mouldings slightly oversize and then trim the mitre faces on the mitre trimmer to obtain a clean and smooth finish. This is a possible way of operating with this Morso. It's not exactly what you would call idea, but if push comes to shove it's possible. Adapting the Morso to enable the measurement extension to be accurately attached is almost certainly not a financially viable option.

Basic carpentry and joinery Morso's would no doubt have a resale value, but I don't know that they would be all that easy to find a buyer for. These days, low cost chop saws are what carpenter like to use, particularly if they want something more portable for use on site. Therefore, selling the Morso to recover you costs is not an easy option. Can you afford to write the one off and buy another Morso to replace this one? It's not a suggestion that you will be wanting to hear, but it's probably the most realistic option.

As a temporary option, you can consider using it as though it is a mitre trimmer, until you are ready to replace this Morso with another one, but that's about all that I can suggest. I'm truly sorry that I can't suggest anything more helpful, but in spite off racking my brains, that's the best that I can come up with.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

If the cutting block functions correctly then it wouldn't be a serious job to contrive a support - maybe in wood.
It doesn't need a huge chunk of metal. You already have the bolt holes.

I made a lash up for my saw, intending to 'do it properly' later. As it transpires the lash up is still working well. :lol:

You can get steel engineers rules. Mine was a 5ft one off E-Bay. 25 quids. You don't need the vernier if you can multiply and add. :P
shed13_006.jpg
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

Could this be the happy ending after all, I certainly hope so!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tasar

Post by Tasar »

Apologies all, I thought I had posted a reply to thank everyone for there comments.

In the end, I decided that I would just have to bite the bullet and pickup a second machine. I'm pleased to say this one arrived and given it came with both LH and RH tables I knew that I had found the right one.

Now I just need to sell the other one, whilst I know I will take a little hit on what it cost me, given the condition and the accessories that came with the second one, I think in the end I'll just break even.

Thanks again

Chris