Alfamachine U200 under pinner

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
L.frames
Organisation: The frame shed
Interests: Painting, walking, needlework

Alfamachine U200 under pinner

Post by L.frames »

Hello!
I wondered whether any one had any experience with an alfamachine foot operated underpinner. I currently own a CS one which was second hand, but I’m not that happy with it.. it’s a bit flimsy.. works fine most of the time but is useless with hard wood. I’ve been considering changing it...
Any thoughts?
Thank you!

Lucy
BeatnikFraming
Organisation: Beatnik Framing
Interests: Photography, music, art, crafts

Re: Alfamachine U200 under pinner

Post by BeatnikFraming »

I have one, it's very well made and copes well with hardwood in my opinion. Occasionally with slim profiles if you put the wedges close to the edge the wedge will split and come out the side of the frame. I have found this happens only with 15mm wedges though so if you use 10mm wedges and try not to go too close to the edge this seems to solve the problem. Also alfas own brand powertwist wedges seem to produce a tighter corner. It's worth noting alfa use a slightly different size wedge to other underpinners, I think it's 11mm instead of the usual 10mm, I bought the wedding ones at first and wondered why they weren't working properly.
L.frames
Organisation: The frame shed
Interests: Painting, walking, needlework

Post by L.frames »

Thank you! That’s super helpful- and good to know you think it’s a good addition to the work shop!
prospero

Post by prospero »

All underpinners struggle with hard wood. :lol: Particularly if you try to use it beyond it's capabilities,
i.e. trying to stack wedges into oak. There are so-called hard-wood wedges, but these have their drawbacks.

If you use the machine within it's limitations then you won't go far wrong. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About