Hand finished photo on canvas

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Hand finished photo on canvas

Post by Jag62 »

Good morning all,

I have a job in which is a photo on stretched canvas, 400x600, with small amount of acrylic hand finishing. The frame & slip chosen look wrong with glass (plus depth may not allow anyway) but should it really have glass for protection ?

Thanks,

Neil
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Hand finished photo on canvas

Post by Not your average framer »

It might be easier to apply a proprietory coating. I've never used such coating myself, so I may not be the best person to advise you. I'm guessing that these coatings come in gloss, satin and matt. I would also find out, if there a any compatibility issues will any product that you may wish to avoid when using a particular coating in conjunction with what ever process that was used in applying the photo to the canvas.

Hopefully, others who know more about this will also be able to reply and clarify this better than I can.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

It depends on how well the acrylic has adhered to the print. If it was given a protective coating before the hand touches
were applied, there could be problems. If before, if should be alright - as long as there is a coating. If not coated then if definitely
needs glass. :wink: Glass will not prevent flaking, but will catch the bits that drop off. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jag62

Post by Jag62 »

Thanks for replies. The acrylic hand finishing is just the lightest of touches to give highlights and appears to have adhered well so I don't think it will likely peel. The resultant effect is that of an oil painting which is why I'm leaning towards leaving unglazed. Added to the fact if I glaze it then needs spacers to keep glazing & image apart & there's barely enough depth for the picture as it is. Which leads me to another question. If the stretcher bars are flush or slightly proud of the back of the frame what are the best fixings to use ? I'm assuming its not acceptable to tack into the side of the painting ! Are raised corner brackets the way to go ?

Thanks,

Neil
prospero

Post by prospero »

I find these handy in such situations............

Lion. ref. 3505/6/7 (three sizes) :D https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/8591/Bendab ... m-Pack-100
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I'm finding it more and more common to have to build out the back of the frame, to extend it. I keep some stock in of cheap obeche and pine strainer moulding for this.
People love the mouldings, but they're rarely deep enough to accommodate the designs we come up with
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Jag62

Post by Jag62 »

Thanks all, I'm going to pack out the frame and also order in some samples with deeper rebates to hopefully avoid/reduce this issue in future.

Regards,

Neil