cassesse cs88

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
paige3
Organisation: nill
Interests: pidture framing

cassesse cs88

Post by paige3 »

Hi i have recently acquired a cs88 in a not working condition.
i was told it required a new pedal cable, i bought a new cable but, unfortunately it made no difference.
what happens is it clamps the frame but i am not receiving the hammer motion for inserting wedges
there is another spring loaded cable see pictures, at present this cable is not attached to anything and i am unsure where it should attach? could this be the problem.?
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Re: cassesse cs88

Post by Jag62 »

Hi,

Your photos didn't upload but there is a manual available here...

https://www.cassese.com/wp-content/uplo ... s88-89.pdf

There are also a few videos of the cs88 on youtube which may help.

The spring loaded cable to which you refer may be the cable to allow you to insert the wedge cartridge.

When you press the pedal does anything happen at all ?

Regards,

Neil
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The hammer driver is mounted on the end of a swinging arm, which needs to be correctly aligned to allow the hammer blade to slide in to the reciever block and just to make things even more difficult, the hammer driver is mounted so that it can swivel to get the hammer blade to line up with the slot on the receiver block. This swiveling bit is never locked into position, but relies up on being correctly located in to the bottom of the receiver block, to keep it in the correct alignment with the receiver block.

Over time the locking screw for the swinging arm can loosen without it becoming obvious, but if the hammer blade detaches from the hammer driver, due to the hammer blade getting stuck in the receiver block and the pedal is then depressed, the hammer driver has nothing to keep in in alignment with the receiver block and both the swinging arm and the swveling part of the hammer driver will need to be realigned and the screw on the swinging arm will need to be retightened after the swinging arm has been returned to the correct position.

There is a little shot scew in the side of the swiveling part of the hammer driver and this screw has a little spring loaded pin which engauges in to the little hold in the bottom of the hammer blade to retain the hammer blade locked in to the hammer driver. The end of the screw has a little bakalite piece on the end of the short screw, which is very easy to brake, if you don't have much experience with Cassesse underpinners, so beware!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
paige3
Organisation: nill
Interests: pidture framing

Post by paige3 »

007.JPG
011.JPG
001.JPG
001.JPG
Attachments
008.JPG