Preventing metal framed benches from marking carpets.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Preventing metal framed benches from marking carpets.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm buying some self assembly metal framed benches to save time fitting out my shop. To prevent the benches from cutting in to the carpets, I am cutting the bottoms of off some small bottles which come with sparkling spring water in them. They are very quick and easy to cut on my band saw and they just slip under the metal legs of the benched, so the metal legs just sit in side. Might be a useful tip for someone.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Preventing metal framed benches from marking carpets.

Post by GeoSpectrum »

They will crack eventually I’m afraid. Blocks of wood with a small routed out section in the middle might be a better bet?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Preventing metal framed benches from marking carpets.

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks Alan,

I think your right, blocks of wood sound like a good idea! If I've got the time I can make some liile wooden box sections and staple a small piece of backing board on to close the bottom of the box off, if the weather improves so I can get in to the shop reasonably quickly so I can get in to the shop withou getting drowned. Currently, it's been raining like crazy around here for weeks and weeks.

Thanks for the tip,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer