Laser mount cutter

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mrspoon_ste
Organisation: Ribbleton framers
Interests: Carpentry, films , sport walks and spending time with family

Laser mount cutter

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

Hi all
I bought a laser 1200 mountcutter on eBay which arrived yesterday. First thing I noticed was the head of the bevel cutter was floppy and didn't return fully back to start position.. this is a spring in the head. I've changed these before on newer models but just wondering if anyone knows if the springs from newer keencut fit this model?
The second fault I could see was the margin guide didnt look square, out came my ruler and it was 1/16th of an inch out (in old money terms :) on the back squaring arm that the margin guide slide on, there is a small grub screw or possibly an adjustment screw, I'm not sure.. does anyone know if this is the screw I use to make fine adjustments or can someone advise me how to square either the back squaring arm or the margin guide..
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping I haven't bought a lemon
Kind regards
Ste
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Laser mount cutter

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Ste,

I am guessing that you are talking about the Keencut Laser. This was probably the keencut mount cutter which was current to perhaps the 1980's. During this period the modern white core and dense conservation mountboard were not the main types of mount board in use and mountcutters were designed for cutting less dense mount boards. The Keencut Laser was designed to use the stanley knife pattern of blades, which are thicker than todays mount board blades and the increased thickness will mean some increased drag when using todays higher density mount boards, but a correctly adjusted the Keencut Laser will still produce a nice cut in todays modern mount boards.

My first Keencut mountcutter was a Keencut Dart, which also used the same blades as the Keencut Laser and these thicker blades, will still do as good a job with modern higher density mount boards, but pushing slightly thicker blades through modern higher density boards will drag a little bit more than today's thinner blades. Don't get to hung up about this it's just a minor detail. So now to some of the main issues with owning a Keencut Laser mountcutter. The sliding head runs along the cutter bar, on nylon bearings and if the machine has been kept well adjusted and properly lubricated with a good quality silicone lubricant, it should be possible to adjust the bearings enough for the machine to operate with no side play in the cutting head.

The sliding nylon bearings are meant to run a little bit tight and the silcone lubricant is there to reduce a bit of the resistance as it slides, this is completely normal and Keencut will be happy to confirm this and advise you how to adjust the machine correctly. Keencut's after sales service is really good, but this is an old machine and replacement nylon bearings are not necessary available from Keencut anymore. If your nylon bearing have not been kept properly adjusted and lubricated there may be a little uneven wear and if replacement nylon bearings are not available, you may just have to adjust the bearings as necessarily and keep them well lubricated with the silicone lubricant. As the bearings bed in and get readjusted and lubricated a lot of the uneven wear will often improve.

The Keencut Laser was well spoken of during it's day and hopefully will have plenty of usable life left in it, for a while yet. As you have no doubt guessed there will be the necessary squaring adjustments on this machine as on all other mountcutters. If Keencut still have any necessary spare parts, which are subject to wear it may be worth looking at getting some, if you are intending this to be your long term mountcutter. Obviously spare parts availability becomes a bit of an issue with older mountcutter at some future time, but many older mountcutter will soldier on a remarkably long time with a little regular adjustment, lubrication and tender loving care.

All the best,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mrspoon_ste

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

Hi thank you for your reply, I was a fine art framer for 30 yrs, the ultimat gold was the cutter I used over half these yrs. When i was made redundant I swore never to do it again but a friend talked me bk into, bought a moso a euro underpinner a logan mount cutter.. can't do what I need on a logan cutter so bought this. The cutter slides well, my only issue is the squaring of the guide and how floppy the bevel head is, I have downloaded the instructions but doesn't tell me how to square it up. You seem to have some knowledge of this machine, do you know how to square the margin guide to the slideway. If you have had any experience with this and any info you could share of be really grateful thank you
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have not seen one for about 20 years and that's too long ago to remember every little detail. Sorry I don't know which screws are used to adjust and square the machine after all this time. I was offered the chance of buying a second hand Keencut Laser, but I bought a second hand keencut instead.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mrspoon_ste

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

Hi thanks again for your reply and time it's much appreciated, I'll figure it :) it is after all 1/16 there will be a screw somewhere :)
Kind regard
Ste