Pneumatic morso

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Pneumatic morso

Post by whitbyframer »

Has anyone used a pneumatic morso? I've never seen one so don't know if they are better for me and my gammy knees. :ninja:
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Pneumatic morso

Post by Steve N »

I share a workshop with another framer and use his pneumatic morso, and I don't like it much, there is not much adjustment on it, I like the blades to come right into the gap in the fence, so the final cut is futher in the blade not at the point, but on the pneumatic morso , you can not bring it in at all because of the sensors, and the rebate supports do not move in and out very well on the auto thingy ( :wink: )

on the plus side, good for long runs of cutting, I have a order waiting for me when I get in of 100 frames plus 40 frames :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
SteveB
Organisation: Pellers
Interests: Motorcycles, DIY, Beer, Holidays

Post by SteveB »

Hi I had a pneumatic Morso and loved it. I am waiting on a knee replacement and I have a fused left ankle there is no movement in it all.

The only reason I sold the pneumatic Morso was that I upgraded to a single-phase hydraulic version single phase.

Both were the best thing I ever did at the time.

Regards Steve @ Pellers
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I already have knee problems and I am careful not to spend too much time working on my Morso, or my manual underpinner each day. This has considerably help my knee problems. A pneumatic Morso is definitely a major benefit, if you do much cutting hard woods like oak, or ash. I used to work at awell know south Devon gallery which was very busy, they had three morso's and one of then was a pneumatic. At one time it developed a fault and had to go away back to the framing engineers workshop. Pneumatic Morso's are an item which cannot necessarily be repaired and sorted on site! Mitre saws can be a better option in that respect.

When I manage to get around to it, I want to create a mitre sled for the band saw. I've done a few tests and proved that this is an accurate and workable option and results are impressive. Working with long moulding lengths on a bench top band saw is not what I would say is my preferred option, band saws product very little saw dust and it's very easy to provide very effective dust extraction when using a band saw. A band saw can be set up to be extremely easy and accurate when cutting obeche. I've only tried cutting mitres using obeche, so I would like to do some tests with other wood types, before making the same statement with other wood types.

Only having limited use of my right leg, since my stroke, I am thinking that being able to cut mitres on the band saw might be helpful to me, but it is very unlikely to be of much use for making volume batches of frames, a Morso, or an electric framing saw still has a very definite advertage in such situations. I will still consider cutting small batches on the band saw, or even on my sliding mitre saw, but I will need an accurate set up before I can consider this. I cannot envisage the situation, where I would ever want to get rid of my mitre saw as Devon can get prolonged power cuts in bad weather.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer