Nielsen Design

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Hoyvangen
Organisation: Picture Framing For You
Interests: Photography, reading, hill walking

Nielsen Design

Post by Hoyvangen »

Does anyone here use Nielsen Design (formerly Nielsen Bainbridge) as a moulding/mountboard supplier? I am concerned that they are showing signs of financial distress in that a) they've recently massacred the range of Artcare boards available, b) stock issues are more frequent than in the past. I am told this is due to Europe but maybe stock levels are being maintained at too low a level and c) I know at least one Sales Manager has gone. I am being reassured that stocking issues are temporary. Perhaps they are also suffering from the lock downs as well?

I'm interested in other people's experiences, even of other suppliers, do you see any issues with your supplies due to Covid/Imports/Brexit?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Nielsen Design

Post by Not your average framer »

This has happened before, Maintaining supplies to their home (US) market is a real big deal, not just to them, at least one other supplier which supplies the US and British markets. It probably has a lot to do with factories working at reduced capacity while observing the current covid restrictions as anything else. This is not an easy time for any of our suppliers. It has hit all of them quite hard and there are no easy ways of getting the supply situation back to normal any time soon!

If it's any consolation, most of us us are experiencing problems sourcing at least some of our supplies. I suspect that it's something we are going to need to get used to for a while. Some of us, who do a reasonable amount of hand finishing are able to swith more of our customers to hand finished framing options, which can help to keep customers still happy to still leave their work with us, rather that to take their work somewhere else! Unfortunately not all of us are particularly able to switch to hand finishing as it's not something that many of us can switch to overnight. These things can take times for some of us.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

From what I can remeber is that thier mountcard coe from Germany, so there could be a supply issue....
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Hoyvangen
Organisation: Picture Framing For You
Interests: Photography, reading, hill walking

Post by Hoyvangen »

Thanks for the replies on this. You will see from the extract below it is an announcement re Nielsen's transfer of ownership from the NBG Home Group in the US to the Nielsen team in Germany who have taken over the management of European Nielsen Bainbridge business. This happened in January this year. I assume this major re-organisation in the middle of a pandemic and lockdown has taken its toll and hopefully they will come out the other end strong. I have no wish to be even thinking about changing suppliers. Here is the extract:
----
"We hope this announcement finds you safe and well.

As many of you may know, the Nielsen Bainbridge business has, for some time now, been part of NBG Home Group in the US. The Nielsen Bainbridge business traded alongside several other home décor companies and brands, mainly active in the USA.

Following discussions with different interested parties, we are pleased to announce that the current leadership team in Germany has taken over the management of the European Nielsen Bainbridge business. The team have a deep knowledge of the custom framing business, customers, and markets across Europe.

Additionally, the US company has reached a separate agreement with the Crescent Cardboard Company to purchase our US custom framing business. This is a completely separate transaction and will mean that the NB USA operation is now a separate business from our business in Europe, although strong ties will obviously remain.

There are no planned changes to our company here in the UK at this time, apart from our new trading name which will now officially be Nielsen Design Limited, in line with the Nielsen Design name in Germany and France.

All product lines will continue to be offered, and Bainbridge will continue to be supplied under an exclusive European distribution agreement with the new N B Business in the USA.

We are pleased to share this exciting news and look forward to continuing a mutually beneficial trading relationship over the coming months and years."
----

Apart from the mount boards coming from Germany many, if not all, of the mouldings are coming from Europe, Italy in particular. Hopefully, like the rest of us, they will get through this. I've always enjoyed good service from Nielsen, until now that is when it has become a bit creaky. Thanks to all for their thoughts.