Frames Pinned Shut

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Frames Pinned Shut

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Afternoon all.
A gallery client of ours has sets of frames that come into us, (we print and mount the photographic work), then install in the frames. This normally works pretty well as the frames are often of slightly varying sizes and proportions, and we produce the drymounted prints to spec.

Have a couple of frames in, where the framers have pinned (buried head 3-4mm staples) the frames shut. So the sub frame on the backing board is pinned into the frame. I'm used to pocket hole screws to hold sub frames in, or framing points, or flexi stabs, but never seen this before.

Nice looking frames, good coated glass, but stapled shut. I called the framers, and they said this is their MO unless the customer states they want to be able to remove the pictures. Suggested a fine flathead screw driver to dig the staples out.

Never seen this before, frames designed to not be simply disassembled.

Any suggestions?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Frames Pinned Shut

Post by Steve N »

With most custom framing, I take it that it will be framed permanently, so unless told otherwise, stapled through the backing , so the backing and frame is secured, then taped up. So if you are saying that these frames have nothing in them, just waiting for you to do your magic, printing and mounting, well that is weird to permanently fit the backs, normally I would use bendy tabs
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Richard Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

It does make sort of sense. I guess the gallery>framers communication had fallen down slightly, given that all their other frames are cycled through shows. When the gallery sells work, the print price excludes the framing. The frames do have the contents of a previous show in them, so not too wierd.

Exploratory digging got the staples out in a few minutes (at least from the first of 13). Client is fine with this, as show hangs on Monday, and the viewing public never sees the reverse of the frames.
Now, my two challenges are how to seal the frame in an easily openable fashion, and how to get spacers ready, as the window mounts were in contact with the glass, and these prints are going in without window mounts.

I'm thinking pocket holes in the backing subframe (which is what their previous framers have done), and something along the lines of econo spacers, or possibly matt board / kapamount lined with the same paper we're printing the images on (there's a 1-2" white border around the images).
Frames are smooth black, but the interiors are bare wood.
Richard Photofusion

So, to answer my questions.
Slim econo spacers are not available from Lion in white or black, so I'm cutting 3mm wide strips (the rabbet width is 4.9mm) of 3mm black Forex PVC, which is already coated one face with acrylic adhesive. My plan is to adhere this to the underside of the glass all round.
This, with the prints mounted to 5mm Kapamount brings the inner subframe to 5.5mm proud of the back of the frame. 6mm canvas offsets to join the two parts, with 12mm screws.
Frames currently have strap hangers on the inner section, held in place with 12mm screws.

Am I missing something scary?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Sounds like a plan, can't think of anything else you could do, also it will be easier to change the images in future
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Have a look at Rose and Hollis paper wrapped spacers 1406 5mmx6.5mm, Cut on a morso, join with 5mm wedges.
Adhering something to the glass sounds like creating a possible future problem.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Richard Photofusion

Thanks Steve.
Justin, unfortunately, I'm merely a humble print monkey, and don't have access to such lovely machines. I also was unsure about having anything so close to the sight line.
I do know what you mean about future problems, but I'm running short on other options in the time scale. I have removed this type of adhesive in the past, using IPA. A bridge I will address in the future.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

IPA...at last, someone talking my language! :beer:
In that case I'm "merely" a bespoke picture framer :D Good luck!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Richard Photofusion

Just don't confuse it with MEK, which is rather more like an evil 160proof Bulgarian vodka, we once had in the studios many moons ago.
Richard Photofusion

<rant>

Finally opened all two dozen frames, ranging from 600x750 to 1000x1500. Those that were assembled for the last show by the framers (4 new frames, the rest reused) have been stapled, except where the original frames were screwed shut. Not points, but staples, which is a right royal PITbA, because the staples are going through many historic layers of brown self adhesive tape, which needs to be removed, before going digging. Even on frames that had previously been held shut by points, there are signs of the damage caused by them reopening the frames.

Fortunately have a few of these https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/7799/Bradaw ... ting-Holes which have pretty good handling. Managed to avoid going through the backing boards, and avoid gouging my hands. Also sacrificed one of these, to try to reduce damage cauesd to the frames https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/10025/Burnisher-Straight.

Are staples so much cheaper to buy, or easier to use? I get that they provide tension between the outer and inner sub-frame, but...?

What are you supposed to do, if someone damages the glazing?

One side effect of the excavations, is at least one frame is starting to show gaps on the front of one joint, from the force required to dig out the staples.

</rant>

On the up side, I won't be quite so rude about flexipoints in the future.

<sub_rant>
Now I've got the frames opened and measured, I can crack on with the printing, mounting, cleaning and assembly.
Show to be delivered Tuesday for Wednesday hang...

</sub_rant>

UPside #2 Love Regency art handling https://www.rsllhr.co.uk/ not at all cheap, but so good at getting things moved around (client's paying, couriers are a dream).