Dry mounting a linen backed poster

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Dry mounting a linen backed poster

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi all,

I'm sure the title has horrified some. My client has a 350mm x 750mm film poster that has been linen back. This is a display piece for him and isn't worried about is long term value and wants the cheapest framing / mounting solution and asking for Dry Mounting. He has been advised that this is a non reversible method.

I am a bit new to Dry Mounting and would be keen for a steer from you kind folks on how to best go about this one as its heavier and thicker than a standard print / poster.

Thanks in advance
prospero

Re: Dry mounting a linen backed poster

Post by prospero »

Use film rather than tissue. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Dry mounting a linen backed poster

Post by Not your average framer »

This is far from easy! The linen backing may contribute texture to the front face of the poster. Also it is probably not known what is the process that was used to original fix the linen bacing in place. If the process for fixing the original linen backing in place is not compatible with the new drymounting process, are there going to be any unforeseen problems which cannot be corrected and the poster may be adversely affected with no way of reversing the damage, or savaging what's left! I personally would not want to be doing this at all. What's wrong with framing the poster as it is?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer