Pros and cons - Morso F v Morso EH

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jon_Brooke
Organisation: Picture Frame Workshop
Interests: Running

Pros and cons - Morso F v Morso EH

Post by Jon_Brooke »

I've got a Morso F and haven't used an EH - what would be the pros and cons of investing in the automatic machine?
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Pros and cons - Morso F v Morso EH

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Speed and no knee problems. I looked at this and went for saw in the end but my workshop is full of dust anyway.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

There are probably advantages if you are doing high volumes of frames, but if that were the case then a saw
setup would maybe a better option. If the operator had health issues then an EH could be good.
But an F is simple and very little to go wrong. Once you start adding complicated systems you run the risk of a
catastrophic failure that could hold up work for days and weeks and be very expensive. Unless you have a very good
reason I would stick to a manual model. You lose the 'biofeedback' when you automate things. :roll:

Same with pneumatic underpinners. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

A Morso EH has higher running costs and would need a higher through put of work to cover those cost, plus any breakdowns on a Morso EH tend to need the machne to go away,rather than to be repared on site. The framers where I was originally trained had a Morso EH which stopped working and it was taken away to be repaired and it did not come by for about 6 to 8 weeks. Fortunately they had a manual Morso as well, but it did slow things down a bit in the intervening period. It's a big decision and I suspect that there's a lot more to consider than you might think!

If getting a Morso EH being a greater through put of work, then whatever underpinner is going to need to handle a greater through put as well and in the case of where I was trained they needed benches to store work in between the morso and the underpinner as sometimes there was a bit of a log jam. There was one full time employee who spent all his time cutting and joining large numbers of multiple framing orders. While I was here they upgraded to a faster underpinner to keep pace with the Morso EH.

I would suggest having a back up manual morso as well, so that you can still oporate if the EH is down and being repaired.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Maybe I should have kept hold of the Morris Minor and not replaced it with more up to date cars as they came along!

I think it makes good business sense to invest in the latest and best equipment you can. I don't have a big business, it's just me and my machinery, but I can churn out much more product in the same time because of the kit that I have - these days it means I don't have to work as many hours for the same result.

I do currently have a manual Morso, but I did used to have an EH when I employed staff. For the bespoke volumes that I do, I doubt I would notice the speed differential, but the wear and tear on your knees is important. I will almost certainly be going for the EH the minute I have any difficulty with my knees. As for the comments above about reliability and repairs, I only ever had one issue with the EH, and that was fixed next day on site.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Jon_Brooke
Organisation: Picture Frame Workshop
Interests: Running

Post by Jon_Brooke »

Thanks for the advice.