Underpinner Bit lost.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cookinfat
Organisation: Corve Picture Framers & Movie Posters
Interests: Life

Underpinner Bit lost.

Post by cookinfat »

Hi
I recently lost the end bit to the rod that keeps the wedges in place on this machine. If anyone has any advice on where I could get a replacement I would be eternally grateful. It is about an inch long and half-inch thick on all sides and screws onto the rod that then slots down the machine and through the spring through the channel that takes the wedges. Please see attached photos.
Many thanks
Attachments
20210612_163722.jpg
20210612_163728.jpg
20210630_174222.jpg
20210630_174231.jpg
prospero

Re: Underpinner Bit lost.

Post by prospero »

I don't think the end bit is actually essential. Have you tried using a piece of wood? :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Judging by the paint colour, I would say that is a Euro underpinner and if that is correct then the bit which screws on the end retains the spring which drives the wedges forward in the wedge magazine. This means that the spring needs something to press against when you pull back the knob to load the wedges to retain the sping tension. How you overcome this problem might not going an easy this to solve!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

:Slap: Thank You Mark. Yes it is essential. :lol:

You might still be able to fashion a piece from wood and screw the threaded end into it (or glue it in).
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes that makes good sense! The missing bit makes up part of the length of the what is pushing the wedges forward in the magazine. The actual length of the piece of wood may be important, so this might need to be determined.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Actually........ You could do a lash-up with two nuts and a washer. :wink: