Cutting larger concave scooped mouldings on a morso.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Cutting larger concave scooped mouldings on a morso.

Post by Not your average framer »

Not all scooped mouldings seem to cut as well, when cutting with a Morso. I'm not quite sure why this should be, but sometimes there is a little bit of a gap in the middle of the joint between two pieces of mitred moulding being joined. Yesterday, I had a quanity of Roe and Hollis moulding A219 (Obeche) delivery and want to makes some impressive display sample chevrons from this. I've never used this particular moulding before, but I've had my eye on it for a long time.

Does anyone kow a sure fire way of avoiding any slight gaps in larger concave profiles on mouldings, or have any particular advice to offer please? There is nothing particularly wrong with my morso as far as I know, so it is very hard to understand why this some things happens on concave sections on on such mouldings as it does not appear to have any obvious reason. I guess you could say that I'm really keen of this particular moulding as I think that it has the potential to look extra special and have not bought it before because concave scoops on mouldings can be a problem at times.

Any comments will be most welcome,
Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: Cutting larger concave scooped mouldings on a morso.

Post by prospero »

It may be that the blades cut into the front first and bear on the back as they progress the cut thus causing the
moulding to tip slightly. The only thing I can think of is to hold it very firmly as you do the final stroke. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Yes Peter,

That did cross my mind, the left hand extension is slightly bent and already slopes sightly downwards. Maybe I'll try adjusting it with a cardboard shim. to see if this makes much difference. I'm guessing that the cutting action of the blades, should help keep the moulding flat against the cast iron bed of the machine, but maybe the left hand extension needs to be more accurate to cuts concaved mouldings properly.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Peter,

Have you looked at the moulding which I want o use, it's Rose and Hollis A219? I'm thinking of gilding the flats on either side and colouring the scooped section in the middle with something eye catching. I'm planning up on a range of coloured display samples and some box frame examples as well. I'm thinking that it would look nice, also hopefully a bit trendy as well. I will gilding it with brozing powder in wax and then heating it and sealing it. I think that this might be something really special for the image of my new shop, when I can manage to get it ready to open! I'm really needing to produce a big impact, I think.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer