Flaking laquer

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jon_Brooke
Organisation: Picture Frame Workshop
Interests: Running

Flaking laquer

Post by Jon_Brooke »

I've just made a frame using a bit of Wessex C2299 which is a fairly expensive distressed black laquered moulding with a satin rather than glossy finish.

A bit of the laquer has flaked off on the top edge where it's been pressed down by the underpinner. As It's already distressed I'd like to try and repair it rather than remake it.

What (if anything) do people use to repair small patches of hard black laquer? I'd say the missing flake is about half a mil thick.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Flaking laquer

Post by Not your average framer »

Very often a good lacquer finish needs good preparation, before applying the lacquer. There's also no substitute for depth of finish to get a good lacquer finish. Repairing a damaged lacquer finish is so dependant to matching the original level of gloss, in order to make a convincing repair.

Have a look at the curved black moulding shown in the photo in this post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19712

The glossy finish is on the chevron in the foreground. This was quite easy, because I was not trying to touch up an existing finish. Touching up an existing finish is a whole different matter, but look how the light catches the moulding! If as the light catches the moulding you can not tell that it has been touched up, I would say that you've got it right!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer