Any tips for cutting Rose and Holls A219 obeche on a Morso

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Any tips for cutting Rose and Holls A219 obeche on a Morso

Post by Not your average framer »

I've ordered quite a bit of A219 and tried cutting a short test piece on the Morso. It did not cut quite as well as I hoped, I think that the Morso struggled a bit with the size of the moulding a bit. Has anyone else cut this moulding using only just the Morso and are there and preferred ways to cut this moulding on a Morso? I'm seriously thinking of cutting the moulding in to slightly over sized pieces and then trimming down to final size on the morso afterwards.

I'm not suggesting bad things about the moulding, in fact I love it - it is an absolutely stunning looking moulding and I have painted the short piece, which I cut off and it looks amazing after painting it. It was definitely the right move to buy this moulding and I've got no regrets about buying it. I just need to find out the best way of cutting it. I do not believe that there are any indications of quality related issues, with this moulding whatsoever. The moulding quality is most definitely superb! Any helpful tips / suggestions most gratefully recieved.

My thanks in anticipation,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Re: Any tips for cutting Rose and Holls A219 obeche on a Morso

Post by Jag62 »

I've recently had issues cutting oak - the blades were pushing the moulding slightly forwards hard up against the fence causing it to twist & cutting at a slight angle as a result. I was convinced the blades were fine having compared sharpness with a couple of newly ground sets. The only way I could overcome it was to cut oversize then trim to size on the Morso. Last week I decided to change the blades & I'm now cutting oak with no issues at all. Could it be your blades causing issue with the obeche ?

Regards,

Neil
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Any tips for cutting Rose and Holls A219 obeche on a Morso

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Neil,

Yes, that makes sense! I've not been regularly opening my shop for about two and a half years since my stroke and as a consequence I am not always about to accept deliveries. So I have not been sending off my blades to be sharpened. Instead I have been sharpening them myself. I am a ex-engineer and know how to do this, but have not done so for a while. I have in fact been hollow grinding them on the radius at the end of my bench top belt sander / linisher. I think that a need to check this out! My morso also has very slight wear in it vertical slide ways, not necessarily excessive by it's getting on n years and is not as young as it once was.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer