Running patterned moulding strips.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Running patterned moulding strips.

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to cut these of from old lengths of moulding, but suitable old lengths of moulding have pretty much run out these days,so I have been thinking about ways of producing such strips. Pressing compo in to moulds is one possiblity, but I am wondering about how difficult it would be to make such strips by routing them on a sliding router sled and indexting off the last routed cut. It would not be without it's limitations and difficulties, I would expect to machine these strips on the edge of a larger strip of wood and then cut each strip from the larger piece.

By starting with a larger piece, a much better degree of safety would be possible as working with really thin bits of wood is not without it's problems. After cutting off one completed strip, the newly exposed edge could be profiled really for cutting another running pattern. Alternatively a wide finely ribbed moulding could be sliced up in to short segments which could be glued in place on to a larger moulding with the segment joined end to end in line. If these segment could be cut to the same thickness as the kerf on one of the saw blades for my table saw, these segments could be located in in a shallow slot below the moulding surface.

After the ribbed sections have been glued in to place below the surface, the surface can be run through a surface planer to remove a small amount and clean up the edges of the table saw cut to ensure a nice clean finish to the saw cut, without affected the ribbed strip, which is low enough in the saw cut not to be affected by the planning operation. After removing and dust from the moulding, any hand finishing can be applied, or one side of the table saw cut could be machined away to expose more of the ribbed strip. Assuming that a adequate cost can be charged for the supply of such a frame, this could be a financially viable possibility.

Working out what costs need to be recoved from such methods would require a bit of experimentation before this can be determined, but I am thinking about giving this a try. I would be interested to hear about any other ideas.

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Running patterned moulding strips.

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Too much bother by the sounds of it.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk